Hops in the seed catalog!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onescalerguy

Reaction score
SWMBO gets seed catalogs sometimes and the latest catalog,Burgess,advertises Nugget hop vines for sale.I assume they are rhyzomes but it doesn't say.Cost is 4.95$ each.What ya think?Comparable to homebrew supply suppliers?
Cheers:mug:

Onescalerguy said:
SWMBO gets seed catalogs sometimes and the latest catalog,Burgess,advertises Nugget hop vines for sale.I assume they are rhyzomes but it doesn't say.Cost is 4.95$ each.What ya think?Comparable to homebrew supply suppliers?
Cheers:mug:

if your swmbo orders something from the catalog it's your duty to spend the 4.95 and get yourself one.

Yep, them there's rhizomes. When they say they grow up to 25', they are NOT kidding! They'll probably get much bigger what with the constant sun in the summertime up in AK.

Michigan bulb used to carry a "Hop Vine" as they described it but I couldn't find any where that stated the variety of the plant.

I might have to check that one out.

CatchinZs said:
Michigan bulb used to carry a "Hop Vine" as they described it but I couldn't find any where that stated the variety of the plant.

I might have to check that one out.

Keystone Homebrew typically has a good selection every spring. Previously I had gotten some rhizomes from a more gardening oriented store and was not happy with the quality of the rhizomes. I am very pleased with the rhizomes I got from Keystone Homebrew. I'd always advise ordering rhizomes through a homebrew store. They understand you are looking for a particular variety. Often the garden center type places will just say hop vines, with no variety information given.

I'm also open to locally trading extra hop rhizomes I've propagated for good beer.

pjj2ba said:
I'm also open to locally trading extra hop rhizomes I've propagated for good beer.
I trust you guys more than some company. If you or anyone on the board here wants to sell me hop rhizomes, I'll pay for shipping of course, that'd be pretty cool.

I'd presonally would prefer to deal in person. I don't have a lot of extras. I've got a couple I put into pots late in the summer, but those are spoken for. I know I should have a few more but won't know for sure until they sprout. I buried some extra shoots in the spring rather than prune them off and they put out some roots giving me baby plants, but I haven't dug them up yet. We'll see if they survive the winter - they should, but you never know

EvilTOJ said:
Yep, them there's rhizomes. When they say they grow up to 25', they are NOT kidding! They'll probably get much bigger what with the constant sun in the summertime up in AK.

nope they woudlnt grow at all up there, they need darkness to grow just as much as they need sunlight

EinGutesBier said:
I trust you guys more than some company. If you or anyone on the board here wants to sell me hop rhizomes, I'll pay for shipping of course, that'd be pretty cool.

why not just order them from a reputable source, there cheap

pjj2ba said:
Keystone Homebrew typically has a good selection every spring. Previously I had gotten some rhizomes from a more gardening oriented store and was not happy with the quality of the rhizomes. I am very pleased with the rhizomes I got from Keystone Homebrew. I'd always advise ordering rhizomes through a homebrew store. They understand you are looking for a particular variety. Often the garden center type places will just say hop vines, with no variety information given.

I thought I had a long drive to Keystone but you're even farther away. I've never been there is it worth the drive?

I've never been there myself either. I've just ordered stuff from them over the web. People in that neck of the woods seem to like them and I've had good experiences with them. I just order from them occassionally.

Back