hops in the mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard of it but it was refered to as "mash hopping". I always thought that "first wort hopping" is adding hops to the runnings as you are sparging before going to boil. I have done 2 brews with first wort hoppng and it adds smother bitterness. More experienced brewers than me have stated that mash hopping is not very effective.

Both techniques are used occasionally, but they are rather inefficient and are used in addition to normal hopping. Neither is hot enough to extract alpha acids and most (but not all) of the oils will evaporate in the boil.

I have heard of "first wort hopping" and may give that a try. But I was thinking adding hops to the mash, might give the beer a soft herbacious flavor. and continue to hop normally. Just adding a subtle additional complexity.

I've also wondered about adding a bay leaf or two to the boil. I have a beautiful Bay Laurel out back and it begs to be added each time I brew.

Blender said:
I have heard of it but it was refered to as "mash hopping". I always thought that "first wort hopping" is adding hops to the runnings as you are sparging before going to boil. I have done 2 brews with first wort hoppng and it adds smother bitterness. More experienced brewers than me have stated that mash hopping is not very effective.

Ive been FWH'ing alot of my beers lately, and Im loving the results. The harshness gets taken away from the bitterness, leaving it alot smoother. And alot more hop flavor comes into play as well.

It works very well on my APAs and Blondes.

Every year or so I brew a batch of Number 6 Hopping Street IPA. I use 6 different english hops at 6 different points of the brew.
The first one is a mash hop. The mash smells really hoppy and I'm sure that some of that ends up in the final brew.
I've never brewed it without the mash hopping so I can't really say what difference it makes. But it tastes so darn good I hate to change it and see if there is much of a difference.

I have mash hopped as an experiment. I used NO flavoring/aroma hops in the boil, only bittering hops. I used a LOT of Saaz in the mash.

There definitely was aroma and flavor form the saaz in the final product. Very smooth taste. Very inefficient use of hops though. There is a science behind this but I have not found a definitive explanation as of yet.

EDIT: I get hops for 2 cents a gram (60 cents an oz) so I did not mind using several hundred grams of hops in the mash.

Back