Hops in or hops out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuknkrvl

Reaction score
I brewed my first RIS back in November, sitting in secondary for aging right now. I'm worried I messed up though because I never strained out the hop debris after the boil so all those hops are still just sitting in there.

Is that going to have a big impact on the overall flavor? Should I have strained out the hops back at the very beginning? Does it matter either way?

Thanks!

I usually strain out what hops I can from the boil pot to the fermenter. But with pellet hops you can't strain out everything. So there is always residual hop material in the fermenter. Then think a minute. People actually do add hops in the fermenter for extra aroma (dry hopping). So what's really the difference in your situation? Russian Imperial Stouts have such a high %ABV that you do have to have enough hops to balance everything out. I think you are fine. Don't worry, be happy. After a while when that batch comes into the zone, you won't be worrying then. After the first pint, you won't be worrying about much at all. Cheers!

Right on, didn't even think about dry hopping. It's coming in just under 9% by my calculations right now. Just have to see how it tastes in a couple months! Thanks!

When you racked to secondary, didn't you rack above the trub so as to not transfer the gunk? That's one of the few benefits of using a secondary. In any case, you probably have a nice solid layer on the bottom of your secondary. When you rack for packaging, just be careful not to suck anything up. No biggie.

Back