Hops In My Yard: Cascade, Nugget, & Magnum At 1 Month of Growth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skunkdude

Reaction score
http://hoppyhomebrewers-allgraingarage.com/update-of-the-hop-bines/
Nugget Is In The Front Of The House. Hardest Part is Having The Bines Grow Parallel To The Ground.

Magnum Is Experimental And Is Grown On The Side Of The House In Backfill. Perhaps I'll Use a Trellis Next Year.

Cascade Is My "Old Faithful" In The Backyard. Last Year I Stopped Picking After Filling Two 5 Gallon Buckets

Hops May 2014 001.jpg

Hops May 2014 003.jpg

Hops May 2014 002.jpg

Your bines only came out of the ground a month ago? How could that be? Mine practically came out a month ago...maybe 3 weeks...and I'm in 4a hardiness

Your doing something right! Being close to TMI (three mile island) Must be an advantage. I am just N of you and mine are no where near them, But I am also in rhizome mode for the last 2 months so not a lot of time training.

These rhizomes are a few years old, with Cascade being in the ground since 2006. Once they start busting out of the ground, I try to keep up with training them on their own line. Maybe being 12 miles from Three Mille Island is my secret.....If any1 needs hops in September...I'll have plenty to give..

I got thrown off by the title of the post thinking 1 month of growth meant 1 month 1st year growth haha looks good!

These rhizomes are a few years old, with Cascade being in the ground since 2006. Once they start busting out of the ground, I try to keep up with training them on their own line. Maybe being 12 miles from Three Mille Island is my secret.....If any1 needs hops in September...I'll have plenty to give..

Did you cut back initial growth? It seems growth would have started earlier than late April in your area?

I live in hershey, so not so far from TMI. This is the first year for all of my plants but they are growing quite well, but not at all this much haha. Hopefully this time next year they will be that big!

The first year is mainly establishing a root system and once that happens, its all about the cones baby ;-)

My cascades are doing good here in Halifax Pa too! I was concerned how they would do with the harsh winter we had, but they seem to be doing just fine. My bines are about five years old. Last year my two bine gave just under four pounds of dry hops.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back