Hops in my Wheat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beertaster

Reaction score
So I've made made a couple wheat beers before, but have stuck to the recipe. I'm making a higher alcohol wheat beer and wanted to add more hops than the recipe calls for, but unsure if this would be a bad idea. The recipe only calls for 1 ounce of Vanguard hops @ the 60 min mark in the boil. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as: do I add more hops? What kind of hops? How much? @ what time?...etc

I'm going to try dry hopping a Belgian Wit...out of style parameters, but heck it's homebrew. I am going to use a very mild aroma hop like Hallertau or Saaz. Wheat beers are supposed to showcase the wheat or spices, not the hops-but it may be good. Personally I wouldn't go for huge hop flavor, just aroma. My 2 cents.

Good luck, Tim

Yeah, that's what I was going for, the aroma that is. I may add some at the end of the boil or dry hop them. Thanks my brother

I would add a small addition, maybe 1/2 oz., of saaz at 10 minutes left in the boil. It'll give you a nice aroma addition, but not overwhelming.

Back