Hops in Irish Red Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dc_x

Reaction score
I am about to order supplies to brew my first non-kit batch. I want to brew Jamil Z.'s Irish Red Ale recipe (Homebrew Beer Recipes: Jamil's Irish Red). Jamil Z's recipe calls for a single hop addition of 1.25 oz. EK Goldings (5%) at 60 min for 27 IBUs.

I am trying to figure out how to adjust the hops for 2 modifications:

1. To add a bit of a hop aroma (His recipe is designed to meet the style guidelines calling for no hop aroma, but I would like there to be a slight hop aroma.)
2. To adjust to a 3 gallon boil (his recipe is for a 6 gallon boil.

This is what I have come up with:

1.75 oz EKG (5%) - 60 min
0.5 oz EKG (5%) - 30 min

This results in 27 IBUs which is exactly the same as Jamil's recipe. I had to increase the 60 min addition by a half an ounce to make up for the difference in boil sizes.

Does that seem right? Will the 30 min addition add much aroma?

my last red used
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 17.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.1 5 min.

That was the Quaffable irish red listed in the recipe database. Turned out quite tasty and fit very well to the style.

I have absolutely no experience to speak from when it comes to this, so please, somebody speak up in contradiction if you disagree with this. I think after 30 minutes, you're going to lose most, if not all hop aroma. I think if you're going for aroma, I'd add the hops in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil.

my last red used
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 17.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 3.1 5 min.

That was the Quaffable irish red listed in the recipe database. Turned out quite tasty and fit very well to the style.

How would you describe the hop flavor/aroma of that beer?

Latest posts

Back