Hops in indiana

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be able to grow about every hop variety there is:)
Indiana / Ohio used to grow a lot of hops for the beer brewers in Detroit.

How much sun do they need? My yard has a lot of shade but there are some sunny spots.

The sunnier the better. I too have a lot of trees, not much sun, except for the west side of the house, so I grow the hops there. Obviously, not a lot of sun in the mornings, but its the sunniest spot I've got.

Thanks for the info. I will plant accordingly then. I would like to grow some citra but have not seen any for sale anywhere?

I too will be getting into the hop growing scene this year for the first time. I've got two centennial rhizomes on preorder

yup, as much sun as possible. if you are being shaded by trees, you might consider trimming a few branches in order to let the sun through.

Thanks for the info. I will plant accordingly then. I would like to grow some citra but have not seen any for sale anywhere?
you won't find citra rhizomes for sale. citra is a proprietary variety, they aren't available to the public. yet. some day they might...

Since I can't get citra then I guess I will get central also. I think I can make some great ipa's with them.

I too have rhizomes on pre-order (centenial, chinook, and glacier) one of each. This will also be my first year growing them (been brewin for 3yrs). Really excited. Plan to post my updates.

hey komodo, you use horizontal or vertical tresilling technique?

Aren't you worried about frost? It's still March! I'm worried all this crazy warm weather could be potentially harmful in the long run?

Nah, they are super hardy plants with huge root systems. When I planted these, it was with the idea I would do little to no work. What they do is what they do.

I've got a cable between two decks, with turnbuckles on the ends so it's fairly taught. Then, hope twine coming down from them to stakes in the ground. Probably about 10 feet high each.

Back