Hops in French Coffee Press Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormrider51

Reaction score
I'm confused about the use of a french coffee press with hops. I put in bittering hops at the beginning of the boil, flavor hops for the last 15 minutes, and aroma hops for the last 5 minutes. I don't see how the press would save me anything unless I'm using the same hop for all three. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
John

you can put the aroma hops in after fermentation has completed so you don't loose as much, you can use less hops for the same effect as far as aroma goes, and flavor to a smaller extent.

People usually use these post fermentation to make hop teas to add to finished beer. There isn't so much of a use for one during the boil, because then you might as well just throw them in.

People usually use these post fermentation to make hop teas to add to finished beer. There isn't so much of a use for one during the boil, because then you might as well just throw them in.

And you can use different hops for each tea giving a different flavour, kinda to trial what a beer would taste like with "this" late hops addition.

Okay, I think I understand. I was told that the idea was to take the bittering hops, make a tea to get the flavor/aroma essence, then throw the hops into the pot for the boil. That sounded okay until I got to thinking about it. I often use one hop for bittering and another for flavor, etc. I couldn't see where there was any advantage.

Thanks everyone!
John

Back