Hops in cold climate questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rskelhorn

Reaction score
I'm attempting to grow hops here in Northern Canada - Yellowknife, and am seeking information regarding required frost free days.

I have read that 120 frost free days are required for the hop plant to flower. If this is the case, how many days are required post 120 to have mature hops which can be harvested?

I have started my hops indoors and they will need to stay in until the end of may.

I have until approx. Sept 15th before we could have our first frost. Sept 15th will be the 129th "frost free day".

You can see the attached picture of my current hop plant which is indoors so you can see current progression. It is still quite cold outdoors but expect the last frost risk day to be ~May 27

Note that in May we have an average of 17 hours of sunlight, June 19 hours, July 19 hours, Aug 15 hours, Sept 12 hours. There are approx 1034 hours of sun from June to August. I am hoping with the long days of sun here in the summer the hop plant will grow faster than normal.

Looking for tips/advice and if you think it is feasible.

Cheers

hop.jpg

I'm attempting to grow hops here in Northern Canada - Yellowknife, and am seeking information regarding required frost free days.

I have read that 120 frost free days are required for the hop plant to flower. If this is the case, how many days are required post 120 to have mature hops which can be harvested?

I have started my hops indoors and they will need to stay in until the end of may.

I have until approx. Sept 15th before we could have our first frost. Sept 15th will be the 129th "frost free day".

You can see the attached picture of my current hop plant which is indoors so you can see current progression. It is still quite cold outdoors but expect the last frost risk day to be ~May 27

Note that in May we have an average of 17 hours of sunlight, June 19 hours, July 19 hours, Aug 15 hours, Sept 12 hours. There are approx 1034 hours of sun from June to August. I am hoping with the long days of sun here in the summer the hop plant will grow faster than normal.

Looking for tips/advice and if you think it is feasible.

Cheers

From seed or rhizome? I ask only because that looks like a small seedling plant and not a rhizome shoot.

Don't fret if it's a seed, keep an eye on it and plant it out somewhere in your yard, then go back on the internet and find a rhizome/transplant supplier for a variety you'd be interested in growing. Hops from seed do not come true to type, and this will potentially cause you heartache and pain. Unless you have an interest in breeding, then hurray, check out some of the other threads.

If it's a rhizome, what variety did you get?

I live in zone 3-4 and I grow quite a few hops. I don't think we have anywhere near 130 frost free days! We don't have super long days, either- the days are quite short for the most part, even in the summer.

We generally have frost around Father's Day (middle of June) and then again at the end of August. I can't grow peppers or even many tomatoes, but I can grow hops like crazy.

So far, the only variety I have not been able to get going is Willamette. I grow hallertauer, cascade, centennial, zeus, northern brewer, chinook, and goldings- and they grow like invasive weeds.

From seed or rhizome? I ask only because that looks like a small seedling plant and not a rhizome shoot.

Don't fret if it's a seed, keep an eye on it and plant it out somewhere in your yard, then go back on the internet and find a rhizome/transplant supplier for a variety you'd be interested in growing. Hops from seed do not come true to type, and this will potentially cause you heartache and pain. Unless you have an interest in breeding, then hurray, check out some of the other threads.

If it's a rhizome, what variety did you get?

This is from a Cascade rhizome.

It is interesting that over the last couple of weeks I had 2 shoots that would probably be classified as "typical" looking.

They were under a grow light and when they broke the soil died in 24 hours. Oddly, this one came up green and has been flourishing...

Strange..

I live in zone 3-4 and I grow quite a few hops. I don't think we have anywhere near 130 frost free days! We don't have super long days, either- the days are quite short for the most part, even in the summer.

We generally have frost around Father's Day (middle of June) and then again at the end of August. I can't grow peppers or even many tomatoes, but I can grow hops like crazy.

So far, the only variety I have not been able to get going is Willamette. I grow hallertauer, cascade, centennial, zeus, northern brewer, chinook, and goldings- and they grow like invasive weeds.

Very good to hear, I find this encouraging.

I have a Willamette rhizome and Cascade. The Willamette has had no activity to speak of, perhaps they really like warm temp(s)? It is cold here, even in the house.

If you have a frost in June is the hop plant strong enough to take it?

What you could do every spring is put a small green house box to over the area where the hop plant is. This would warm the soil faster and get a sooner growth, thus a little longer growing period.

Very good to hear, I find this encouraging.

I have a Willamette rhizome and Cascade. The Willamette has had no activity to speak of, perhaps they really like warm temp(s)? It is cold here, even in the house.

If you have a frost in June is the hop plant strong enough to take it?

My hops are barely coming up right now, as there is still some snow in the woods. But sure, they can easily take a frost (or two or three) in my experience.

And when they come up, they grow fast. The chinooks seem to do the best, but cascade, hallertauer, and centennial are also great growers where I live. Sometimes, the chinooks will grow 6 inches in one day once the summer comes. I get a harvest every single year, without fail.

Not exactly in line with what OP is inquiring about but i'm just wondering how you would rate your hops in terms of quality compared to commercially bought ones. For example how would you rate the aroma of the cascades. My climate is cold but nowhere near as cold as some of the regions spoken about here and i wasn't overly satisfied with my first harvest. The aroma just wasn't there in my opinion. Any tips for improving quality in this respect?

The 120 days is the whole season and even at that, a little frost early can be tolerated.

Just pick something that harvests earlier like Fuggle, Willamette or Mount Hood. Avoid ones like Nugget. Some years it takes until the first of October for those to be ready and we are fighting the frost to get them in.

The 120 days is the whole season and even at that, a little frost early can be tolerated.

Just pick something that harvests earlier like Fuggle, Willamette or Mount Hood. Avoid ones like Nugget. Some years it takes until the first of October for those to be ready and we are fighting the frost to get them in.

That's good to know! Online, I kept reading "120 frost free days required in order for blooms" and I became a bit concerned.

Now, I'm just hoping when I acclimatize the plant from indoor to outdoor it does not have too many issues..

This is from a Cascade rhizome.

It is interesting that over the last couple of weeks I had 2 shoots that would probably be classified as "typical" looking.

They were under a grow light and when they broke the soil died in 24 hours. Oddly, this one came up green and has been flourishing...

Strange..

If the original growing tip died, then it makes sense. This new stem originated from a node under the surface, which explains the "baby-ish" look to it. No worries to be had!

Completely normal.

Latest posts

Back