Hops Hops & Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love a strong citrus flavor in my ipa. I'm personally in an Amarillo phase right now, I use 1oz loose leaf as a dryhop to secondary for one week.

I just did an IPA with Amarillo Gold, Centennial, and Cascade (along with a little Chinook for bittering). I did standard times on the additions (60, 30, 15, 5, flamout), but put proportionately more hops at 15 and 5 minutes (and less at 60) to get a lot more flavor (I hope).

Oops,

I forgot to add I have some Northern Brewer as well.

I'm wondering, should I bitter with the NB, Summit, and Simcoe because of their higher bitterness? Should I add them all at 60 for bittering? Or will 3 oz of 1 each of the three cause my cheeks to turn inside out.

I am definitely going for a much hoppier and complex hop flavoring.

I'll definitely be dryhopping, probably with the Cascade and Centennial, as I've had great results with this combo. twice.

Orpheus said:
Oops,

I forgot to add I have some Northern Brewer as well.

I'm wondering, should I bitter with the NB, Summit, and Simcoe because of their higher bitterness? Should I add them all at 60 for bittering? Or will 3 oz of 1 each of the three cause my cheeks to turn inside out.

I am definitely going for a much hoppier and complex hop flavoring.

I'll definitely be dryhopping, probably with the Cascade and Centennial, as I've had great results with this combo. twice.

You might consider mixing all of the hops together and using the mixture for each hops addition. If you want a very complex hops flavor and aroma, you might go for a schedule something like:

60, 20, 15, 10, 5, flameout, dryhop

Or you could use just the NB and Centennial for bittering and then use the mix starting at the 20 minute flavor addition.

im currently drinking a cascade pale ale... lovely american pale ale! Its got 4oz of cascades... 1oz at 45min, .5oz @ 15min. .5@min, and 2oz dry in the secondary for two weeks.

I did a cascade pale ale also:

3 oz for 60 min
2 oz for 30 min
1 oz for 5 min
2 oz dry hop for two weeks in the secondary

total of 121 IBU (if I remember correctly)

This brew was sooooooooooo good. I called it my Bitter Bad Beat Pale Ale.

the_bird said:
I just did an IPA with Amarillo Gold, Centennial, and Cascade (along with a little Chinook for bittering). I did standard times on the additions (60, 30, 15, 5, flamout), but put proportionately more hops at 15 and 5 minutes (and less at 60) to get a lot more flavor (I hope).

This is the same mix that my current PA has and it is wonderful.

As for the OP. I'd start with the centennial and then use centennial and the cascades for first flavor addition then cascades and simcoe for second flavor, aroma and dry hopping. I haven't used summit so I can't say where it would fit in well. Try and make your hop schedule "flow" from one hop to the next. Increase the proportions of simcoe to cascades through the additions so that you end up with 3:1 in the dry hop phase. This will give a really nice complex and smooth hoppiness to the beer. Be sure to dry hop partr of it for that nice aroma popping out of the glass.

Back