Hops Growing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilkinga

Reaction score
Does anyone on this forum grow their own hops? I would like to try, but I don't know where to get plants/seeds in my area. I will have to ask next time I am down at my local homebrew shop.

For those of you that have grown before, were they hard to get started? Did you harvest after the first year? What varieties did you grow?

This was my first year growing hops but I actually got a bit of a yield from two of the four varieties I was growing. I think this year is going to be a good one. I am growing Goldings, Northern Brewer, Centennial, and Willamette. Decide the varieties you are looking for first and then see if your local brew shop has the rhizomes available. You can order them over the Internet as well. In Washington they tend to come available around March. I got my Northern Brewer variety from Oregon and was even sent some instructions on how to plant it. It is very easy and there are also many books available on the subject.

The Homebrewer's Garden by Joe and Dennis Fisher is a great source of information about growing your own hops. They include information about watering, soil pH, where to site your hopyard, how to make trellising and good information on various pests and diseases you may have to deal with. ISBN: 1-58017-010-2

Back