Hops growing twine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berwick12

Reaction score
It looks like everyone is buying coir twine. I can get jump cord for free, will it work or will it get caught up for some reason.

It'll work fine. I'm going to go with the jute or sisal rope at the local home improvement store only because I dont' have a free source like you do. They'll climb anything just make sure it won't break.

It'll work fine. I'm going to go with the jute or sisal rope at the local home improvement store only because I dont' have a free source like you do. They'll climb anything just make sure it won't break.

I originally bought sisal twine and then heard that some people had trouble with the jute and sisal twine not lasting the entire season and breaking.

i used sisal last year and will do so again this year, just make sure it's not too thin. i believe mine was 1/4 inch (does that sound right?) and it lasted through a hot summer which was alternately wet and very dry.

It sounds like you were using sisal rope then? The rope is strands of twine twisted together...or that's the way I understand it. I had bought sisal twine that was about 1/16th of an inch! That's why I upgraded because after I strung it up it didnt seem like much. I think if you're using sisal rope you'll be fine but have to replace it every couple seasons or so.

Not sure, I'm just going by what I've read.

The key: is there more than one strand? Single strand twines tend to separate due to wind and rain, then they break. Coir twine is really a two-strand rope.

It sounds like you were using sisal rope then? The rope is strands of twine twisted together...or that's the way I understand it. I had bought sisal twine that was about 1/16th of an inch! That's why I upgraded because after I strung it up it didnt seem like much. I think if you're using sisal rope you'll be fine but have to replace it every couple seasons or so.

Not sure, I'm just going by what I've read.

yes, i guess we would call that more of a rope than a twine.... still not the sort of rope we had to climb (or failed to climb in my case) in gym class...

Still a cheap and effective solution. I'll replace it every season, for the 5 bucks or so that i spent on it, it's not worth recycling. i cut up last years rope and composted it. doesn't seem to have decomposed yet, but who knows what condition it'll be in by the time i'm ready for the compost.....

Back