Hops Growing Over Growing Season.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On May-1-2011 I planted 1 Cascade rhizome, 1 Nugget rhizome, and 1 Centennial starter. I was given a planter box next to our garage/barn in which to plant my hops.
20110501153434.jpg
05-01-2011
You can see the little wooden stakes in front of where each was planted. From left to right there is Cascade - Nugget - Centennial. The centennial is the one on the rope and is about 6 inches tall.
Unfortunately I planted these at home and had to return to college, so I wasn't able to water them or watch them grow. While I was away one of my dogs dug up the nugget rhizome and took off with it - my neighbor noticed the dog pull up the cascade and take off with it and she saved from my dog and even replanted it for me. Unfortunately all the bines on the cascade broke off.
While away at college I got the urge to start a couple more varieties in pots so that I could transplant them when I got home For this I chose a Sterling rhizome and a Magnum rhizome. They were each planted in plastic pots with miracle grow potting soil. The sterling already had a good sized shoot growing off it so that stayed above ground when I planted it. Here's some pics of the sterling
20110505213744.jpg
05-05-2011
20110507113559.jpg
05-07-2011
20110510131117.jpg
05-10-2011
Here's one of my magnum
20110510131743.jpg
05-10-2011
I returned home from school for the summer strung up some strings for the other two spots and measured my outside plants on 06-13-2011 and my cascade plant was 1 foot tall and my centennial was exactly 5 feet tall. Today on 06-14-2011 my cascade measured at 14 inches tall and the centennial was 5.5 feet tall
20110614134510.jpg
centennial today.
Tomorrow I will transplant my magnum where the nugget used to be and transplant the sterling somewhere else. I fear the sterling has sustained too much damage in transport and might not survive. Ill take a pic or two periodically show how fast they grow over the season.
-----------------------------------------------------
I checked them today and took a picture but am too lazy to post it. I transplanted the magnum to where the nuggets were.
As of today (June-17-2011) the heights are:
Cascade= 16 inches tallest bine.
Magnum= 27 inches.
Centennial= 6'3 tallest. ~5'10 shorter bine.
Something is eating my hops. The cascades look like a hop skeleton and there are holes all over the centennial. Good news about the cascades today is that i noticed another 2-3 bines starting to come up.
I made up a 1/2 strength fish fertilizer solution and lightly watered the hoppies. Will repeat in another week or so.
-----------------------------------------------------

Back