Hops grew to the top, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignatedDrinker

Reaction score
Hey fellow hop growers, i have a question. My hop vines have grown to the top of the side of my house all the way up the twine(~20'). Now my question is, just let them keep growing and bunch up or try to reroute them back down so there nice and neat?

Thanks

I have mine running up twine on roughly 15 foot poles. I just looped the tip around and let it grab back on to the bine for support.

Not gonna worry about it beyond that until I decide that it's time to build a real hop yard.

It'll be fine, unless you are trying for commercial production, eh?

TeeJo

my hops stand is only about 11 ft tall. when it reaches the top, I untie the twine at the top, drop it down to form a loop and tie off, then extend the twine back up to the top. usually two loops per season is all I need. the vines just keep growing upwards. works for me!

my hops stand is only about 11 ft tall. when it reaches the top, I untie the twine at the top, drop it down to form a loop and tie off, then extend the twine back up to the top. usually two loops per season is all I need. the vines just keep growing upwards. works for me!

Im trying to picture what you said. So once it reaches the top you release it and drop it down so it looks like and upside down U? Tie it off to the top with some more twine and let it grow backbup?

Im trying to picture what you said. So once it reaches the top you release it and drop it down so it looks like and upside down U? Tie it off to the top with some more twine and let it grow backbup?

well....yes..... but it looks more like an 'lazy S', a 'S' laying on it's side.
never tried an upside 'U', but that may work also.

this late in the growing season, don't know if I'd worry about reaching the top end. I had to double-down late-May and early-July, and although I'm topped out, hops are ripening and new growth won't produce much more.

Back