Quantcast

Hops going fast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

lowlife

Reaction score
I just looked at hops direct. It is saddening. I was trying to hold out for pellet hops. Looks like ipas are going to be expensive to make this year. They still have cascade and columbus though. Is there anywhere else that you can buy pounds of hops at decent prices? 10-15 dollars a pound?

Native302

Reaction score
They don't release this years crop in pellets till late October early November. Only leaf availabe from this years crop. Patience young padawan.........

OP
lowlife

lowlife

Reaction score
my point was if they sold all of the leaf how can they make pellets out of it. Doesnt that mean its gone since all the leaf except those mentioned are sold out (as far as ipas go)

riverfrontbrewer

Reaction score
Low-

They don't sell as much leaf as they can then use he rest for pellets. The leaf that will be made into pellets is already at the processor.

LandoLincoln

Reaction score
my point was if they sold all of the leaf how can they make pellets out of it. Doesnt that mean its gone since all the leaf except those mentioned are sold out (as far as ipas go)
My guess would be that they save a certain percentage of hops to make pellets.

OP
lowlife

lowlife

Reaction score
Good to hear! I will have to look every day to order as soon as they come out I guess; especially if they sell as fast as the leaf did.

bjl110

Reaction score
FYI you can buy a pound from farmhousebrewingsupply for ~$15 right now for most varieties. They are last years harvest though, so the AA is lower. Except for the NZ varieties, those are 2011.

OP
lowlife

lowlife

Reaction score
You guys were right. I just ordered my 2011 Citra, Amarillo, and Centenials off their website.

EricCSU

Reaction score
I was checking the website every ten or fifteen minutes this morning. Pathetic, but I love those IPA hops!

Eric