Hops garden pests

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noblebrewer

Reaction score
This season I started a hops garden in my backyard with 2 rhizomes each of cascade and nugget. The hops are up the trellises now and just growing back and forth with flowers already budding which is exciting to see.

I have been battling pests though. I love in San Antonio, TX and early on I thought I had problems with ants eating the leaves. After reading on HBT I decided to place the stakes with liquid bait and thought that would do the trick. I have noticed that leaves up at the top of the trellis were being nibbled and investigating I discovered some silk worms and threw them all over the fence.

I have also noticed small green winged bugs that I do not recognize so I thought I would throw the pictures I took up here and see if anyone knows if these are a danger to my plants. Thanks in advance

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403747526.019109.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403747541.169629.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's some variety of winged aphid.......... Aphids can either have wings or be wingless, and it's not necessarily based on species.

He's sure cute! ;-)

My hops pests have four legs, long ears, and a cute fluffy tail. I keep hoping for an owl to take up residence in my yard!! One of these little buggers nipped the growing tip off from my Northern Brewer plant (new) leaving it discouraged and not reaching out. I don't know if the NB will have to send a new shoot up from the rhyzome, or if that tendril will recover. I seem to have a herd of the little critters in my yard this year, and I'm about to go after them with 22 birdshot. Too much glass around to use ordinary LRs. With any luck at all an owl or a red tail will find them irresistible. I don't like shooting things here if I can avoid it.

H.W.

fight back with some bugs that will eat them. Lady bugs and prey mantis make for good natural pest control. think you can buy some online.

fight back with some bugs that will eat them. Lady bugs and prey mantis make for good natural pest control. think you can buy some online.

Where can I buy owls online? ;-)

H.W.

Back