Hops for Irish Red?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaggynuts24

Reaction score
What are some of the hops you would use in an Irish Red

I am getting ready to plan a new batch and want to make something similar to Beamish Irish Red ... but a little more hoppy

I have been formulating one and have been stuck deciding between Fuggles or EKG. Most of the recipes I have seen use one or both of these.

Word...EKG and Fuggle.

i'd use EKG for the later additions and fuggle for the bittering, but they both make a great hop for any addition in the maltier scottish, irish or english ales.

Fuggles & EKG.

Bitter with one; aroma with the other. You decide.

(I bitter with EKG and add my Fuggles @ 10mins.--nice flavor combo. But you could switch it, too.)

right on ... i have a plan now --- now time to improvize original plan

6.0 lbs Maris-Otter
2.0 lbs Cara-Pils
1.0 lbs British Chocolate
2.0 lbs Flaked Barley

2 oz Fuggles
2 oz EKG

Irish Ale Yeast

O.G. estimate 1.056
F.G. estimate 1.015 (was hoping for a little bit "thicker")

An Irish red is supposed to be a session beer.

You don't want it too "thick." Of course, you can make it however you want.

Try adding some flaked barley for mouthfeel.

looks close, but it depends on the Alpha Acid content of your hops. Once you have that info, you can more accurately determine your hop quantities.

that's not going to be a red, tho.

2 lbs of carapils is a LOT...i know you want the mouthfeel for the style, but i'd reduce this amount a bit and do your mash a little higher instead.

1 lb of chocolate is a bit much, too...that's going to be far too dark to be a red.

i'd add a pound or so of munich, as that will add some great malty flavor (which is missing from your recipe) and add to the nice red color.

15.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.2 %
1.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.8 %
0.50 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.9 %
1.40 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 13.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 1.8 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (5 min) Hops 0.9 IBU

I use 1.5# of cara in a 10 gallon recipe, you should easily cut yours down.

An Irish red is supposed to be a session beer.

You don't want it too "thick." Of course, you can make it however you want.

Try adding some flaked barley for mouthfeel.

he already has 2 lbs of flaked barley ;)

a session beer? i would disagree. irish reds need a nice malty background. you can lighten the body and make them drier and more crisp, but it's not necessary for the style. they should be very drinkable, but full-flavored and malty.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 09

he already has 2 lbs of flaked barley ;)

a session beer? i would disagree. irish reds need a nice malty background. you can lighten the body and make them drier and more crisp, but it's not necessary for the style. they should be very drinkable, but full-flavored and malty.

BJCP 2008 Style Guidelines - Category 09

Ha! lol!

I didn't even peek at the recipe!

For an Irish red....

2 lbs of Carapils?!
2 lbs of flaked barley?!
1 lb of chocolate?! (not even pale chocolate)

forget the chocolate malt and carapils...

For the grain bill may I suggest (and dissect/reject as you like...)

7 lbs British pale/M.O.
8 oz Crystal 20
6 oz Crystal 40
3-4 oz roasted barley (this is enough to produce the redness without "drying" out the malt)
8 oz flaked barley

Play with the Crystals to taste, but avoid anything too high.

Irish reds are "reddened" traditionally by roasted barley.

critiques duly noted - you guys are awesome

Plan B in effect

6.0 lbs Maris-Otter
2.0 lbs Munich Malt
1.5 lbs Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs British Chocolate
1.5 lbs Flaked Barley

2 oz EKG 5.0% - bittering
2 oz Fuggles 4.5% - aroma

Irish Ale Yeast

O.G. estimate 1.062
F.G. estimate 1.017 (was hoping for a little bit "thicker")
ABV estimate 5.9%

--- can't help it --- i like the flavor of chocolate malt

this is brew #4 for me

time for me to look up roasted barley

Here is the recipe I am thinking about doing;

Team Bunnchiro*BrewBlog > Team Bunnchiro's Recipes > Bunnay's Irish Red [Irish Red Ale]

6# Light DME
.25# Roasted Barley
.25# 60 or 90L Crystal
.5# Carapils
1oz EKG or Fuggles @ 60

I am still undecided on the Crystal, I may drop it to like 60L or go with Munich instead. Also depending on availability I may go with Fuggles instead of EKG. I am only doing a bittering addition since the BJCP says there should be little or no hop flavor and also skipping the aroma hops too so I can get a maltier flavor profile.

How much different are EK Goldings and US Goldings?

Not terribly. You can tell slight differences, but the US Goldings are a very good substitute, especially in these troubled times for our happily hop-heavy heroes. (I'm feeling alliterative today.)

I've been using US Goldings extensively, and they work great. It's just which side of the big blue they were grown on.

Here is my Hope Schedule

1.0 oz Challenger at 60 min.
½ oz Challenger 15 min.
½ oz Glacier 15 min.
¼ oz Glacier 5 min.

I do love EKG and Fuggles....
Used all of those in my ESB pair though.

You can also ditch the Munich for British Amber malt for a nice, malty character if you want to keep it on the right side of the Channel. I'm not sure how you can pull off a proper Irish Red without at least a bit of mid-range crystal malt. Drop some of that Carapils for some medium British crystal (around 55L).

TL

I like Goldings for flavor and Fuggle for aroma. For bittering my mid/low IBU brews, I use cluster. That's just because they're pellets, I have a lot of them, and boiling them over a half hour, they really won't impart much flavor, if any.

I used Styrian for bittering and EKG for a 20 minute flavor addition. Styrian is similar to fuggles, I think, so you could use fuggles. When I rebrew I'm changing the grainbill a bit but I will not touch the hops as they were spot on.

6# Light DME
.25# Roasted Barley
.25# 60 or 90L Crystal
.5# Carapils
1oz EKG or Fuggles @ 60

When the current keg kicks, here's what I'll be brewing:

8# Maris Otter
2# Munich
8oz Carapils
4oz C120
4oz Roasted Barley
Mashed @150 for 75 minutes

5 AAU Fuggles 60
5 AAU Goldings 20

With extract, drop the C120 and your color will be similar to my recipe, which should be nice and dark like Smithwicks.

I find the Irish ale yeast is better for a stout than a red. I'm going to pitch good ol' US-05 next time I do mine.

critiques duly noted - you guys are awesome

Plan B in effect

6.0 lbs Maris-Otter
2.0 lbs Munich Malt
1.5 lbs Cara-Pils
0.5 lbs British Chocolate
1.5 lbs Flaked Barley

2 oz EKG 5.0% - bittering
2 oz Fuggles 4.5% - aroma

Irish Ale Yeast

O.G. estimate 1.062
F.G. estimate 1.017 (was hoping for a little bit "thicker")
ABV estimate 5.9%

--- can't help it --- i like the flavor of chocolate malt

this is brew #4 for me

time for me to look up roasted barley

i love chocolate malt too, man. it's great stuff. i think your recipe looks delicious just the way it is. it may not be as red as you want, but it will be close and will definitely be very tasty.

i wouldn't add more than a couple ounces of roasted barley, personally, it's great for color but you don't want it to impart much flavor.

the 1.5 lbs of carapils will give it a nice heavy dextrinous mouthfeel. you may wish to reduce this if you're planning on mashing high (above 155°F)

ferment that irish ale yeast at as low a temperature as you can...preferrably in the low, low 60s. it's a mean one for diacytl, but otherwise gives some wonderful flavors.

i'll plug this into promash when i get home and see if i can give any further recommendations.

You can also ditch the Munich for British Amber malt for a nice, malty character if you want to keep it on the right side of the Channel. I'm not sure how you can pull off a proper Irish Red without at least a bit of mid-range crystal malt. Drop some of that Carapils for some medium British crystal (around 55L).

TL

nice to see you again :) -- this will be my first attempt at an all-grain batch

been trying to figure out how to get the thick body like they have in a guinness and put it in a red ....

dropped 1/2 pound of munich - dropped 1/2 pound cara-pils - dropped all the british chocolate - added 1 pound of Caramel Crystal Malt - dropped 1 ounce of fuggles

I am still new - therefore leary of anything that says "biscuit flavor" in the description --- is there a better description for it?

I am crossing my fingers hoping that this doesn't end up tasting sweet.

Plan C in effect

6.0 lbs Maris-Otter
1.5 lbs Munich Malt (20L)
1.5 lbs Flaked Barley
1.0 lbs Cara-Pils
1.0 lbs Caramel Crystal Malt (40L)
0.5 lbs Roasted Barley

2.0 oz EKG 5.0% - bittering
1.0 oz Fuggles 4.5% - aroma

Irish Ale Yeast

O.G. estimate 1.061
F.G. estimate 1.017
ABV estimate 5.8%

Don't be afraid to use Willamette- they are easier to find (for me, at least) than Fuggles, and are extremely similar

I used them in my cinnamon-infused November Red Ale and its GREAT (even the little sis will drink it)

Not terribly. You can tell slight differences, but the US Goldings are a very good substitute, especially in these troubled times for our happily hop-heavy heroes. (I'm feeling alliterative today.)

I've been using US Goldings extensively, and they work great. It's just which side of the big blue they were grown on.

Excellent, thank you! I'm planning on doing an ESB soon and no dice on EKG at the LHBS.

Back