Hops for Hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbabe30

Reaction score
So I’m building a recipe for a coconut Hefe after this current batch of Peach basil cider is done. I’ve read that Cashmere hops have a coconut note to them and give a mild, smooth bitterness when used as buttering hops. Has anyone used Cashmere in a Hefe or would I be better off sticking to the classic Hallertau/Saaz route?

Never used them, but seeing how hefe is a delicate yeast driven beer, I would go easy on the character hops (as in low to no). If you want more hip character though, coconut sounds nice.

Planning any actual coconut or just coconutish hops?
What yeast are you planning to use? My last wheat beer was a coconut wheat and was brewed with K-97.

Planning any actual coconut or just coconutish hops?
What yeast are you planning to use? My last wheat beer was a coconut wheat and was brewed with K-97.
I’m using a coconut tincture during secondary and I’m planning on using wyeast 3068 Weizen

So I’m building a recipe for a coconut Hefe after this current batch of Peach basil cider is done. I’ve read that Cashmere hops have a coconut note to them and give a mild, smooth bitterness when used as buttering hops. Has anyone used Cashmere in a Hefe or would I be better off sticking to the classic Hallertau/Saaz route?
I have never seen Cashmere described as coconut...I've used it once and had many beers with it in it and its definitely not coconuty...Sabro however can definitely exhibit coconut flavors and is a great hop...can be quite potent so use sparingly if you use it...especially for a hefe...[emoji482]

Sabro exhibits an intoxicating and complex blend of fruity and citrus flavors. It is described as an intensely unique hop, notable for its complexity of fruity and citrus flavors, including distinct tangerine, coconut, tropical fruit, and stone fruit flavors, with hints of cedar, mint, and cream.

I think I would just go normal hefe hops and add your coconut tincture before kegging like you said .

Did you end up using cashmere hops ? Was thinking of using them with along with like peel for a coconut lime pale ale if cashmere has coconut notes

I believe sabro has coconut notes...
I had a Tiki Escape IPA from Stone recently and it was sabro and mosaic and had coconut and tropical fruit for days...

Back