Hops for Dryhopping Tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gishgeek

Reaction score
This is my first thread so bear with me.

Just made a tripel a couple weeks ago and I am about to transfer it to secondary, but I had an idea to take a portion and dry hop it as an experiment. The my hop profile consists of hallertau blanc and triskel. I am considering using one or some combination of both. Also if it makes any difference or not (because of belgian aroma) I am using WLP550

Anyone have opinions on what might turn out well? I am open to other hops as well (as long as my LHBS carries them) if you think that it will compliment the existing profile.

good idea! Amarillo would certainly work. maybe its just me, but I get kind of a grassy taste when using amarillo, although tbh I have never dry hopped with it.

right now leaning towards triskel, just because I have so much on hand. wondering how much would be effective for 1/2 gal since such a low alpha. Looking at ~ 4% with the age of the hops.
https://www.hopunion.com/french-triskel/

looking for floral with some subtle citrus.

thoughts on mosaic?

Id go with saazer type hops (cz saaz, lublin, sterling, etc) . They are floral, and the spiciness they have (that other hops do not) will go well with the yeast.

I don't know what triskel is like but some woody and earthy northern brewer sounds good with the blanc.

Saphir. Smells like you just peeled a tangerine but it also has a subtle spicy aroma in the background.

great suggestions! Planning on brewing a dubbel this weekend with sterling (an experiment as well to see which yeast i like better, wlp500 or wlp 550) so that might work out real well. Saphir sounds great, but im not sure for this beer since i want more subtle citrus than you described. Moteuka sounds very interesting though.

Ended up using a combination of Triskel and Sterling. I'll wait a week and take a sample to see how it worked out.

Back