Hops flavor/aroma difference at different boil times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cracked1

Reaction score
Say a recipe called for an ounce and a half or so to be slowly added during the last 30 minutes of the boil... Now say that all of the ounce and a half were added at that 30 minute mark instead. What's the expected flavor/aroma difference between the two? Does more of the bitterness come out in the longer boil time? Or does it get boiled out and end up less "hoppy"? Or am I completely off here?

Hop aroma dramatically declines with any any addition boiled longer than 5-10 minutes. The volatile aroma compounds are driven off in the boil. Flavor drops off at 20-25 minutes. As far as bitterness goes, you get less utilization with a shorter boil time. That being said, IMO some hops leave a slight but noticeable flavor in the beer after being boiled for 60 minutes.

hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma are derived from different compounds. The bitterness comes from isomerized alpha acids. Isomerization of alpha acids requires heat, in particular boiling temperature. So, the longer hops are boiled, the more alpha acids are isomerized, the more bitter the beer.

Hop flavor and aroma come from compounds in the essential oils of hops (e.g. myrcene, humulene, etc). These compounds are quite volatile, which means that they are easily vaporized (even at temps below the boiling temperature of water). The longer you boil hops, the more of these compounds will vaporize and exit the wort, taking their flavor and aroma with them. Aroma compounds are the most volatile (that's why they're aroma compounds to begin with), so these are lost the quickest.

So,
longer boiling --> more bitterness due to more isomerized alpha acids and less flavor/aroma due to volatilization of the essential oils
shorter boiling --> less bitterness due to fewer isomerized alpha acids and more flavor/aroma due to reduced volatilization of the essential oils

this is why many recipes call for multiple hop additions at various times - thereby capturing bitterness, flavor, and/or aroma

Thanks all. I was just trying to figure out how much I changed the IPA I brewed. It's Yooper's DFH 60 minute clone and I completely brainfarted on my hops schedule. It was supposed to have 1.25 oz Warrior, 1.00 oz Amarillo and 1.00 oz Simcoe hops but my LHBS was out of Warrior so I replaced it with Nugget. So following the recipe I started the boil with about half of the nugget then slowly added the rest of the nugget until 35 minutes were left. After that I was supposed to slowly add the amarillo and simcoe together. Instead, I added ALL the amarillo and simcoe at once. I knew I messed up as soon as I dumped them in...

After two weeks in primary I racked over to my secondary this weekend and dry hopped using 1.00 oz of amarillo and 0.50 oz of simcoe. So, I should at least get some flavor and aroma from that.

I'm hoping that since I used nugget (13%) instead of warrior (15%) that my screw up with the hops schedule won't make it more bitter than I wanted.

The IBU's may be a little off but I am guessing you will have an awesome tasting brew when it is ready. The dry hop should give enough flavor to make up for any flavor amount that may have been lost in the boil.

Just my opinion of course.

Keep us updated!

I think you'll end up with a fine-tasting beer. It won't be the same as if you had added those hops incrementally, of course, but a fine-tasting beer all the same. Dry hopping will add flavor and aroma, but different from the flavor and aroma from hops added to the boil.

Let us know how it turns out.

:mug:

I think you'll end up with a fine-tasting beer. It won't be the same as if you had added those hops incrementally, of course, but a fine-tasting beer all the same. Dry hopping will add flavor and aroma, but different from the flavor and aroma from hops added to the boil.

Let us know how it turns out.

:mug:

Bottled this weekend... The smell in my kitchen was fantastic! After testing a sample for the FG I took a taste and WOW! If this conditions how I think it will then I may have just made my best batch of beer! :ban: Another thing that made me pretty happy is that according to my final numbers plugged in to BeerSmith it appears I've hit from middle to high in all the catergories for the style. No number was out of the range.
I'll update again in a few weeks...

This is an interesting chart on the subject:
http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

It seems to confirm generally what I've read elsewhere, but I'd be open to hearing what other people think about the specific times. Also, it seems like an average of all hops. I've got to wonder if hop varieties with different resin and oil levels will have different optimal addition times.

Back