Hops Direct vs. Freshops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Willsellout

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon coast
Is there a reason that Freshops would be almost twice as expensive as hops direct? I'm just curious. I know freshops has some varieties in stock the hops direct doesn't but other than that is there a difference in quality?


Thanks

Dan
 

cdburg

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2006
Messages
361
Reaction score
7
Location
Sacramento
I've never ordered from Freshops, but I have ordered from Hops Direct. The prices are obviously very good. I also received closer to 2 lbs when I ordered only 1 lb. I believe that I've read elsewhere that they're pretty generous with their quantities.

I'll definitely go back to Hops Direct when I need more.
 

Blender

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
3,106
Reaction score
10
Location
Santa Cruz, CA.
You can order by the ounce at Freshops but only by the pound at Hops Direct. Buying by the ounce will surely always be more expensive.
 

ColoradoXJ13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,257
Reaction score
26
Location
Somerville
I just got an order from freshops, I used them because hopsdirect didn't have one of the varieties I needed and hopsdirect doesn't sell whole leaf hops by the ouce.

I don't have a scale at home and didn't want to deal with bringing 5lbs of hops into work and deal with answering the obvious questions of why I have 5lbs of leafy smelly stuff in my bag (see location...)

I will order from hopsdirect in the future though.
 

cweston

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
2,014
Reaction score
24
Location
Manhattan, KS
Blender said:
You can order by the ounce at Freshops but only by the pound at Hops Direct. Buying by the ounce will surely always be more expensive.
Right. OTOH, a pound (or more--they usually ship more) is a huge quantity if we're talking high AA hops. I've got some Columbus in my freezer that's been there almost a year form when I bought a "pound" from them. It still makes great beer, but I'm sure it's not ideal.

If you have someone to split pounds with, that'd be perfect.
 

Blender

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2006
Messages
3,106
Reaction score
10
Location
Santa Cruz, CA.
cweston said:
Right. OTOH, a pound (or more--they usually ship more) is a huge quantity if we're talking high AA hops. I've got some Columbus in my freezer that's been there almost a year form when I bought a "pound" from them. It still makes great beer, but I'm sure it's not ideal.

If you have someone to split pounds with, that'd be perfect.
Splitting would be nice as there are some varieties that I would have a hard time using a pound of. Do they give more than a pound when ordering pellets?
 

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
Blender said:
You can order by the ounce at Freshops but only by the pound at Hops Direct. Buying by the ounce will surely always be more expensive.
That's why I always buy from Freshops. I like to have a lot of diffrerent varieties of hops on hand and I don't have the room or the budget for buying a whole pound of all those varieties of hops. Yes, I pay a little more. But Freshops is still half the cost of any nearby LHBS.
 

Bigfoot99

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2006
Messages
49
Reaction score
1
Location
Colorado
ColoradoXJ13 said:
I don't have a scale at home and didn't want to deal with bringing 5lbs of hops into work and deal with answering the obvious questions of why I have 5lbs of leafy smelly stuff in my bag (see location...)
But in Boulder you wouldn't get the question of "why?", you would get the question of "can we have some???"...

Hops Direct is great. Got over 5 lbs for a 3 lb order.
 

ColoradoXJ13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,257
Reaction score
26
Location
Somerville
Rhoobarb said:
That's why I always buy from Freshops. I like to have a lot of diffrerent varieties of hops on hand and I don't have the room or the budget for buying a whole pound of all those varieties of hops. Yes, I pay a little more. But Freshops is still half the cost of any nearby LHBS.
And the funny thing is that my LHBS sells freshops hops, at $2.50-$4 / 2 oz :confused:
 
OP
Willsellout

Willsellout

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon coast
Ok cool....I missed the quantities when I was looking at both the sites. I plan on buying from both sites incidentally because Freshops has newport, which I love to use for bittering, but for dryhopping I love using cascade and would have no problem with buying a pound. So each site has it's good points..great, thanks guys!


Dan
 

Rhoobarb

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2005
Messages
3,553
Reaction score
21
Location
Gainesville
Cheesefood said:
Beware of Freshops. I found a dead fly in mine.
That's better than a live fly! You find those when you pck your own in the backyard.

Willsellout said:
...newport, which I love to use for bittering...
I've never used Newports. In fact, I think you're the first person I've ever heard of using them. IYO, are they similar to anything else?
 
OP
Willsellout

Willsellout

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon coast
Rhoobarb said:
That's better than a live fly! You find those when you pck your own in the backyard.


I've never used Newports. In fact, I think you're the first person I've ever heard of using them. IYO, are they similar to anything else?
To be honest, I don't have a whole lot of experience with many hop varieties. I happened to use the Newport on my first extract brew and loved em', but to tell you honestly I can't compare to anything else i've used as I've only brewed a few times.



Dan
 
OP
Willsellout

Willsellout

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2006
Messages
913
Reaction score
0
Location
Oregon coast
Well I received my orders today from both Freshops and Hops Direct. Both were packaged well, and labeled. Hops Direct did end up shipping me 2 pounds of Cascade instead of one though. It's nice, but I'm not sure what I will be using that much for:D



Dan
 
Top