hops direct order what should i get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
I ordered some saaz and german halleratuer the other month and realized i didnt get up of a variety. I was gonna order 2 different kinds of hops to add some variety. any suggestions? i was thinking maybe some golding. i would like to get the hops that are the most versitile that cant be substituted with the 2 i already got. thanks

goldings are nice to have around as they work for most english ales. i also like to have a nice american hop like cascade on hand as it's very common. willamette is cheap on hopsdirect, so you might as well pick a pound of those as well. i would personally also get a high alpha hop like magnum or one of the nice NW ones to use for bittering.

I have a personal favorite of three hops, one for bittering, one for flavor, and one for aroma. Those being Columbus, Willamette, and Amarillo.

I just ordered Cascade ('cause I'm normal) and whole German Spalt Select ('cause I'm weird).:fro:

Barely talked myself out of Cluster. Just a matter of room in the freezer.

Read up on the hops first, then order from there.

I did this for the Amber Ale I got in secondary.

I know I like hallertau mittelfruh hops, They smell very nice and a little of that came through in the flavor of the uncorbonated beer. I didn't care that much for Saaz from the moment I opened the package. They technically fit together or can fit together. But The smell of Saaz didn't agree with me and I can taste that smell. Live and learn.

I think the key here for new people is to read about them and keep in mind what you want. For me I'll be looking for hops more on the flowery side.

I am not a big fan of IPAs and i like the brown colored ales, oktoberfest and wheat beers are my absolute fav. styles and i like porters and stouts. Basically anything but the pale ales. Hope that helps

Do you like porters to be chocolatey and soft, or more tongue-scraping coffee-crunchy? 'Cause if it's the latter, I'd say Chinook. Otherwise maybe Willamette or something English-ish like that. Kinda hard to telegraph the difference between a Speakeasy Payback and an Anchor Porter, but maybe YKWIM.

For your Noble hops, Tett is extra spicy, Spalt is goofy artificial blueberry, and Hallertau is more generically "hoppy." No opinion on Saaz from me. Liberty, Mt. Hood, and Vanguard can be nice stand-ins.

If I could only choose one hop for the rest of my brewing life, it might be Tradition.

i was thinking so far about cascade cause alot of recipes call for it and it seems to be your run of the mill fall back hop and Willamette cause its cheap and people seems to say its got a nice all around aromma. Still not sure what to use for my 3rd hop choice maybe magnum as a nice high AA but clean hop. This would give me

Saaz
Halleatuer (GR)
Magnum
Cascade
Willamette

would that cover my bases for most styles of brews (keeping in mind i will not be brewing a IPA anytime soon) mostly just sweet to neutral ales

Keep in mind that a pound of Magnum can last a looooong time because you typ only use it for bittering and most times you won't use more than 1/2 oz per 5 gal. So if you used it in every batch (which most people won't) you're still looking at prob >30 batches to use it up. I like Magnum but I wish I hadn't bought a whole pound of it. I'd rather just 'use up' the other hops I have to keep them moving/more fresh.

would you rec. anything else? I dont brew too often (once a month at most) and i want to just save some cash. I got a vac sealer but would like to order a group of hops that will cover me for most brews. I am not a stickler when it comes to hops taste cause im just getting into it so i want something multi-purpose

Cascade, Willamette, and Hallertau should take care of almost any style under 30 IBUs. Maybe you can just buy high aa% hops by the ounce at your LHBS if you plan a bigger beer.

Hopsdirect conveniently labels its dual-purpose varieties as such. Northern Brewer is probably the most stylistically comprehensive (but I still say Chinook if you dig the abrasive).

I don't think you'll be happy with Cascade if you don't like APAs or IPAs. I think Willamette would be more up your alley with the types of beer you brew.

Latest posts

Back