hops dangerous to livestock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VonRunkel

Reaction score
My parents have a little farm in WA and I'm trying to get them to grow hops to sell to local brewers/homebrewers.

But they have a bunch of pigs and are looking into cattle and have heard that hops are dangerous to livestock. I know dogs can't have them, but what about pigs and cows?

Thanks for any resources or experience

good question I have heard that dogs can die from eating them but haven't confirmed that.

Hops grow up high on a trellis. I'd love to see the pig that could get their snout into some hops.

Otherwise yes, they are bad.

So, first, I would just call your veterinarian. He or she may not know, but will travel in the right circles and will be able to find the right answer.

Second, I'm not sure I understand the concern. Do you folks let their livestock meander through the cash crops or the vegetable garden? How about the flower bed? Sure, I can see not wanting to surround your animals with toxic plants, but toxic plants are already all over the place. The naturally occurring plants aside (dare I mention White Snakeroot or Flowering Knapweed?), plenty of garden plants are toxic as well! Even the humble tomato and potato find themselves in the nightshade family! Have your parents ever fed a pig a green potato?

Plant some hops - put a strand or three of electric fencing around them.

Contact your local cooperative extension office. If they don't have someone on staff who can answer your question, they should be able to point you in the right direction to get the information you want.

Thanks for all the help. I will look into it more and get back to you guys with the results.

Hops grow up high on a trellis. I'd love to see the pig that could get their snout into some hops.

Otherwise yes, they are bad.

Maybe he has some of these.
123567.jpg

Latest posts

Back