Hops Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
www.hops-canada.com

Just wanted to give these guys and gals a shout out for being a good online vendor with great prices and customer service. They answered my questions promptly even though they were dab smack during harvest season.

The prices are insane compared to buying at 2.55-3.00 a pop for an ounce, which is the standard from Canada vendors. Sub 5$ for 4 ounces of Colombus ? Yes please. They have also assured me that everything they sell is from 2014 harvest and they have stuff from this year's harvest too. If anything is older, they would e-mail to know if it was right.

Pros:
- Great prices
- Basically pound prices but you buy by 4 ounces increments
- Great customer service

Cons (minor):
- They pack in vacuum food saver bags amounting to what you ordered (ie. you order 8 ounces of hops, they all come in the same bag), so you might need to vacuum seal yourself the remaining hops, but I'm sure they would be pleased to accomodate you if you asked. No biggie for me, might be for some.

All in all, I know where I'll be ordering my hops from now on !

shipping is the killer. I'd have to order a years supply ( and increase my brewing ) to make it worthwhile. shipping for 100g of hops was $15 to ontario. But that's the reality of shipping in Canada.

ya, they're using an automatic shipping calculator. It wouldn't cost half that to ship 100gr. Age of the internet....... They sure do have good prices though

You can practically put 100 g in an envelope and mail it for a dollar. I know I know, not really. But there's a place outside of Ottawa that does that with card collectibles. Anything under 40 cards or so ships free.

Yeah, you do need to bulk buy stuff and if you don't brew a lot, don't use a whole lot of hops or just need a few ounces of something in particular, shipping can get really expensive.

But for me, seeing as I was either buying by the ounce from either OBK or my lhbs or buying by the pound from the US and thus not having a lot of variety (and still paying out of the wazoo for shipping/duty), I don't care about paying 20$ shipping on a 70$ order from a Canadian vendor. I like the appeal of not having to buy a pound of something and still managing to keep some variety on hand.

I do admit to gaming their system a bit and ordering just the right amount of hops that would not have me cross the threshold into the next shipping pricepoint, but that's a given.

It totally makes sense to do it like that. Shipping anything cross border makes it was more expensive than the Canadian shipping cost. Plus it's nice to help out the Canadian economy while brewing. One o the local shops sells Ontario grown hops in addition to hop Union.

I suppose if I brewed more often and brewed IPAs I would go through more hops.

It totally makes sense to do it like that. Shipping anything cross border makes it was more expensive than the Canadian shipping cost. Plus it's nice to help out the Canadian economy while brewing. One o the local shops sells Ontario grown hops in addition to hop Union.

I suppose if I brewed more often and brewed IPAs I would go through more hops.

Another option would be to do a group buy, split the order and then repackage the hops.

I haven't brewed with their hops yet (planning on doing just that this weekend) but I have opened a couple of bags and I'm really pleased with how fresh and fragrant they are.

I am pretty sure these guys grow right here in my hometown of Kamloops, BC. Not 100% certain, but I think I know where their hop farm is.

Gonna try them out for varieties I don't have (and see if I can pick it up for free!!!)

Latest posts

Back