Hops bushes in partial sun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr_stl

Reaction score
I know full sun and tall trellises are great for hops. Problem is I have neither.

If I plant my rhizomes on the side of my house that gets sun in the afternoon with a 4-6 foot tall trellis/cage, would I possibly get a decent enough yield to make it worth it? Not looking to have pounds of hops (only 2 rhizomes), but would be happy with enough for a nice IPA batch or two each year.

Also, does anyone plant a flowering vine alongside to improve the curb appeal of the hops plants?

That all depends on where your located. My plants are in a similar location (at least they were till I started getting my house worked on...story for another day) however the climate in florida really dictates that for me. If I had full sun all day throughout the summer, the plants would fry.

I'm in St. Louis, and could put a hose on a timer as needed.

I say go for it. I can't speak to whether you'll be successful or not but I've found that these plants are pretty hardy. Within a few weeks one of mine was already almost 8 feet, they will surprise you. Plant then where they will get the most sun possible and then wait and see. Do be aware that year one of any rhyzomes doesn't tend to get you any harvest, though some have licked out. Year 2 is normally a decent one but year three is normally where your full production occurs.

Back