Hops-Bittering vs flavoring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOPCousin

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Wondering about spacing out my hops for bitterness vs. flavor during my boil and doing a 60 min vs 75 min boil?. It's a partial mash celebration ale malt profile with an og 0f 1.069. Also curious what people's experience is with US-05 dry ale yeast which came with this kit from my local brew shop, is it similar to chico or california ale yeast?

boil 75 mins 1.0 Chinook 13.0
boil 60 mins 0.5 Chinook 13.0
boil 50 mins 0.5 Columbus 14.0
boil 45 mins 0.5 Columbus 14.0
boil 30 mins 1.0 Cascade 5.5
aroma1 min 1.0 Cascade 5.5

Any thoughts and information greatly appreciated

It is Chico / Cal Ale yeast.

Tons of people make great beer with it.

Personally, I like liquid yeast... I still don't know why, but I just make better beer with it. It's something in my process I guess. Like I said though, lots of people make great beer with dry yeast. Don't hesitate to give it a shot.

Thank you for that, I just wanted to make sure it will impart the right flavor.

US-05 dry yeast works well.

Right now you have no real flavor addition, just a bunch of bittering and a slight aroma. If you are doing a full boil you are over 100IBU, which is our limit of tasting bitter. If you want flavor you need to move some hops to 20-15min left in boil.

I am not sure what you are going for. Is there a style you are heading for?

What volume are you working with?

I would do at most the two Chinook additions for bittering. Though, I have heard that Chinook can lend a harsh bitterness but I haven't used it personally. Other than that I would move all the Columbus/Cascade to the last 10 min to KO and get all of your aroma that way.

So the last 20 minutes or so is flavor? The kit is a celebration ale clone and they recomend adding all the chinook at the beginning of the boil and then at 50 minutes 1 oz of cascade and then the other oz of cascade at the end for aroma. I was thinking to space it out across for a more rounded flavor. I bought the additional columbus b/c I though it should have the addtional. The beer calulator puts it around 71 ibu's this way. So the thought is to put the columbus and the cascade space at 20 and ten minutes for flavor?

So I could do
Chinook 1.5 at 60m
Columbus 1.0 at 20m
Cascade 1.0 at 10m
and then another 1.0 cascade for aroma?
Thoughts about that in terms of flavor?

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I also read that for bitterness vs flavor that I should keep it to 60 minutes.

Maybe move the cascade back to 1.0 at 15 to let the flavor boil out a bit more?

So I could do
Chinook 1.5 at 60m
Columbus 1.0 at 20m
Cascade 1.0 at 10m
and then another 1.0 cascade for aroma?
Thoughts about that in terms of flavor?

Thanks for the ideas guys.

I also read that for bitterness vs flavor that I should keep it to 60 minutes.

This hop schedule looks much more balanced between flavor/aroma and bitterness.

So 15 seems to be the flavor spot. I'll move that back. The calculator says 68.7 ibu's with this schedule which should be good. I'm brewing it up for a BBQ June 5th. I was planning to brew next weekend and give it 2 weeks or so in the fermenter and then bottle condition for 4 weeks before the party.

So 15 seems to be the flavor spot. I'll move that back. The calculator says 68.7 ibu's with this schedule which should be good. I'm brewing it up for a BBQ June 5th. I was planning to brew next weekend and give it 2 weeks or so in the fermenter and then bottle condition for 4 weeks before the party.

68.7 is a little high for an IPA, but if you like your IPA bitter it won't be too much over. 65 is the upper end of the style range to give you an idea where it's at.

Yeah I drink pretty bitter IPA's. I drink Green flash frequently which is around 74. IBU's for Celebration ale are around 65 which is what my sister likes and it's her graduation party so I'm trying to hit her favorite range. That's my thinking right now anyway.

I have been sticking with us-05 and Cascade and Amarillo and mostly working with changing grains. I love Cascade and Amarillo. My styles so far have a short varience of amercan pale to american porter. I am getting more consistant. They are nice clean tasting beers. Next, I will begin widening my hop usage. But first I need to brew SN Torpedo. Love that stuff!

when you say got the time? Does that mean it just takes a longer time to ferment the alcohol? The calculator says it will be about .2% abv difference between white labs and the the US-05.

Amarillo is nice. They do a nice job at the Northampton brewery of doing hop profiles. Don likes to single hop things so you can get a sense of the individual profiles. He hasn't done amarillo yet. I like columbus alot as well. I'm putting some rhizomes in the ground this weekend actually, columbus, cascade, and centennial. I might try to grow some german hops next year as well for variety. The Fluffy Bunny's (Belgian Tripel) by Pretty Things here in MA is really well done and then pushed the german hops in it and it came out quite well.

when you say got the time? Does that mean it just takes a longer time to ferment the alcohol? The calculator says it will be about .2% abv difference between white labs and the the US-05.

It will take a little longer to flocculate.

Amarillo is nice. They do a nice job at the Northampton brewery of doing hop profiles. Don likes to single hop things so you can get a sense of the individual profiles. He hasn't done amarillo yet. I like columbus alot as well. I'm putting some rhizomes in the ground this weekend actually, columbus, cascade, and centennial. I might try to grow some german hops next year as well for variety. The Fluffy Bunny's (Belgian Tripel) by Pretty Things here in MA is really well done and then pushed the german hops in it and it came out quite well.

Northampton brewery usually has quite a few good IPA's

Fluffy White Rabbit is pretty good. Smith's Billiards has it on tap right now.

Mikkeller has a stellar single hop Amarillo IPA. You can find it at Table & Vine.

Ah, that is interesting they had a lot of Mikkeller at Ryan and Casey's as well but I chose the bunnies instead. Is it a limited release?
The Blue Boots is my favorite there. They just ran out. He improved it this year to.
His imperial stout which is a Kate the great clone was really good after it aged a year. They have this years on tap which is tastey but it will be better in the fall when he threw those other Kegs on.

Ah, that is interesting they had a lot of Mikkeller at Ryan and Casey's as well but I chose the bunnies instead. Is it a limited release?
The Blue Boots is my favorite there. They just ran out. He improved it this year to.
His imperial stout which is a Kate the great clone was really good after it aged a year. They have this years on tap which is tastey but it will be better in the fall when he threw those other Kegs on.

The Amarillo Mikkeller may be a limited release. They make a single hop centennial that is really good also.

Back