Hops at Flame Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What does it mean by add hops at flame out? Is it just to add them when you take the kettle off of the flame, and then they remain in the kettle until the wort has been cooled, then just siphon the wort off of them?

Thanx

Is there an advantage to adding at flameout over 5min left in the boil?

Not to thread steal (but i will) i wanted to start doing hops at knockout, but i no chill my wort. Would that day on the hops be too long?

At 5 min, you will still get more bittering and lose some aroma over adding at flameout. Not entirely sure how much, but I think it can vary.

Not to thread steal (but i will) i wanted to start doing hops at knockout, but i no chill my wort. Would that day on the hops be too long?

I would consider chilling the beer, just to try and inhibit the nasties. As for it being too long, I really don't know.

What does it mean by add hops at flame out? Is it just to add them when you take the kettle off of the flame, and then they remain in the kettle until the wort has been cooled, then just siphon the wort off of them?

you don;t need to siphon the wort off of them

most of the hop oils (hydrocarbon-based) are extremely volatile and may boil off within 5 mins. however, there is also oxygenated-based oils that will last longer (up to 10mins). they add different aromas

too long at too high may lose some aroma, but otherwise theres not really a too long

Coolio. Hoping to leave some in that had not been boiled, but didnt know if it would get to stale. Ill give it a shot.

Back