Hops Aroma/Flavor Wheel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aiptasia

Reaction score
Based on the Palmer wheel, but I thought this one was so much nicer looking. If it hasn't been posted before, it should be.

hops flavors reference wheel.jpg

I've been looking for something like this for a while. Thanks!

Short of some sort of hop sampler that one could buy to check out each type of hop or brewing a lot of different recipes it is really hard to know what the different hops are like.

Thank you for this! Can really help out new brewers trying to come up with good recipes!

I've been brewing for just about 9 years now and I still haven't tried many of these hop varieties because I can get the bitterness/flavor/aroma I'm looking for from the varieties I have tried, but thanks to this, its experimentation time!! Also do you have a high-res version I so I can print out a poster on my Plotter? :D

Is anyone aware of something like this for yeast strains?

It would be more complicated, but for example Belgian yeast strains tend to produce banana esters when fermenting at elevated temperatures, other ale yeasts make apple esters, etc.

My LHBS (Brewmaster's Warehouse) has a Wyeast Poster/Chart on the wall that would be perfect for this. Couldn't find it with a quick search though.

That's great. New to brewing and wanted an easy way to learn hop flavours. Thank you

Seems like a lot of ambiguity. There's a bunch in the middle. Does that mean there equal in all categories, or equal in two categories across from each other? Citra is another example, it's in Citrus, but has an 'H' next to it even though Herbal is right next to Citrus. Does that mean it's more Fruity than Herbal, but it's also Herbal?

I'd rather have a table with hop varieties as rows, characteristics as columns, and each character for each variety ranged from 0 to 10. Anyone know if this exists?

Edit:
Here's a good graphic, although it missing many varieties: http://www.mashspargeboil.com/wp-content/uploads/hops_v1.12.png

Back