Hops are up in Boston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmonk

Reaction score
Well, they sprouted last week in my basement, after I brought in the 5 gallon pots from outside the week before.

6" in a week, under a sodium light isn't bad ...

Hi,

I'm in Marion a bit South of Boston. My favorite sign of spring is to see the hops sprouting. The cascades I have by my shed seem to sprout first. This Tuesday I checked and could see little purple hop sprouts nosing their way up through the soil.

Sweeeet! I went to school in Marion (I guess that's a give-away, eh?).
Did you mulch them for this weekend?

I can't wait to put mine outside.... I have pairs of rhizomes in 2 buckets - cascade and centennial.
There are about 9 shoots total, tallest is now 8" - I have to raise the light soon!

Hi Brewmonk,

I grew up in Rochester and went to public schools, but I know a lot of people that went to School where you did. I've been growing Cascades for years. I also have Hallertau, Sterling, East Kent Golding and Willamette.

I didn't bother mulching my hops. I have daffodils and other Spring plants that are a lot taller and I'm sure they are fine also. I guess snow is a mulch in a way. The Cascades are hard to kill. I gave some to my neighbor in a pot. He was too lazy to plant them and threw them out by his house. Now I get hops from him every year from the plants that grew from that pot that he threw out!

HAHAHA HEH! thats GREAT, from discarded plants. rdwhahb!

the only thing that sucks is that *NOW* I'm into lapstrake wooden rowing boats.
dang, what I'd do differently ....................

arrite, so they arenet fabulous, but they have been outside, with good rain, and are 4 feet now.

Sounds good. I bought about 1/2 mile of Twine at Loews last weekend and put up 9 lines for my Cascades and 2 each for Willamette, Hallertau, EKG and Sterling. I think my Willamette is growing out of control. I tend to get a lot out of hops from that plant.

Latest posts

Back