Hops are in...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GusWatab

Reaction score
I know I am a little late in getting these in the ground but we had some frost advisory's the last couple days in MN and it is still May so I should be ok....right?? I was finally able to carve out enough time last night to get them in the ground. I planted 2 rhizomes of Cascade and 2 rhizomes of Nugget. This is my first year planting hops and I look forward to this project. I dug out 4 holes and filled them back in with composted soil and planted the rhizomes about an inch below the soil. Poured some water on them and now the waiting starts. I plan on inserting a 8-10 ft pole in the ground where the center stake is. I will screw an eyelet at the top of the pole and run ropes from one hop mound, through the eyelet, to the opposite hop mound and do the same for the other two mounds. This will create a teepee type effect and should work well and look nice at the same time. Has anyone else tried this type of "trellis" system?

I will continue to update this thread as the hops are progressing and document the process. Stay tuned...

This picture was taken at 8:30a and will get full sun until about 7pm. I think this will be a great spot. The next post by me will hopefully be some shoots peeking out of the soil.

Hops.jpg

So far so good...

I picked up some red cedar mulch and spread some of that around each mound to help contain moisture. After a few days, I went and brushed some of the mulch aside and low and behold there was a tiny little shoot working her way out of the soil. FANTASTIC!!! Now just waiting to see some signs of life from the Nuggets.

After a light rain this morning I went out and sprinkled a small amount of tomato/vegtable food around the edges of my mounds in hopes of getting some nutrients into the ground. I wlll post up some pics as soon as I get a few more shoots rearing their pretty little heads.

Have a good weekend!

Well I have hops growing!! I am out there about 3 times a day checking them out. Sorry for the late addition to my thread but wanted to get a few more pics up. I have Cascade and Nugget hops growing and the Cascades are doing awesome. I have 1 Nugget doing great and 1 Nugget that is a bit slower. The hops have grown up enough now where I had to put the trellis/post and rope in.

When I am training these, I always thought that looking up the rope, you wrap the hop vine clockwise but everytime I go out there it is like they are trying to grow the other way. I am in central MN so just curious if I have these wrapped the right way or do I go counter clockwise. Let me know what the rest of you do...

Also, has anyone else used this type of trellis system? My only worry will be once they all get to the top will they tangle up and how will I tell the Nuggets from the Cascades if they do. I like the look of it and can't wait to sit and enjoy a homebrew under a teepee of Hop Cones!!

Cascade Hop
cascadehops.jpg

Hop Trellis
hopstrellis.jpg

Oh I really like that trellis, its going to be very attractive too, when covered with bines. I use wood chip mulch around and between my hops mounds, also.

I've found that hops will train themselves and wrap without intervention. Usually when I try to get involved they wind up snapping off in my hand so I stay out of it.

Nice set up , looks like you even have some sunlight, which I have not seen much of yet.

Thanks pappers. I am looking forward to this system once they are all rockin!!

I have read that you train hops up the vines clockwise and i've also read that you train them counter clockwise. I started training these ladies heading up the rope clockwise but they always seemed to be wating to go couter clockwise up the ropes. I just re-trained them to climb up the rope COUNTER-clockwise and will see how that goes.

Obviously they will natrually want to follow the sun so it seems that depending on which way the hop is in the ground and which way it is facing my center post, some should go clockwise and some should go counter clockwise. But I have not read anywhere that you train some clockwise and some counter clockwise...

WOW...does this make any sense?

Thanks pappers. I am looking forward to this system once they are all rockin!!

I have read that you train hops up the vines clockwise and i've also read that you train them counter clockwise. I started training these ladies heading up the rope clockwise but they always seemed to be wating to go couter clockwise up the ropes. I just re-trained them to climb up the rope COUNTER-clockwise and will see how that goes.

Obviously they will natrually want to follow the sun so it seems that depending on which way the hop is in the ground and which way it is facing my center post, some should go clockwise and some should go counter clockwise. But I have not read anywhere that you train some clockwise and some counter clockwise...

WOW...does this make any sense?

The Homebrewer's Garden http://www.amazon.com/dp/1580170102/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 says that hops want to go clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter-clockwise in the southern hemisphere. I wrapped mine clockwise and its worked fine so far. What I should say, is that I started them clockwise and just let them go after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys! I will just let them do their thing. I will post more photos occasionally to show how they're doing!

Back