Hops and More Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aq1012gto

Reaction score
Ok This is my first time growing hops and I planted the rhizomes late last winter. I am down in Texas. My question is I have been harvesting hops since August. Not too much just a couple oz. here and there, but The plants keep resprouting new vines and new hops. I dont cut the plant down just trim off the finished hops. Some of the hops look like three are budding together to make a triple hop. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Could It be due to the heat or the shorter day lengths of our summers. Also It close to a pathway we light at nigh sometimes.

I'm not sure I know what your question is. No, I've never seen 3 hops growing together.

As far as cutting your hops down.. Wait until the first frost. By that time, they will have died back to the ground. At this point, you can cut it down and clean up. If you cut the vine up into small enough pieces, you can throw it into a compost pile for fertilizer next season. Otherwise, if they're not small enough, some might start to grow a new plant next year, which is fine if you're looking for that. Either way....don't trim until after they're fully dead.

I was going to wait till then to cut it down but is it usual to have new hop buds forming all the time. I will get a picture of the triple hops. Also if i cut a finished bud off it will re grow two in its place.

No, it shouldn't grow two in the same spot. I've never seen it do that anyways. It is completely normal for new hops to continue sprouting. As long as weather permits, it will keep producing. Concider it a blessing. I usually get two harvests a year, but we had a pretty mild summer in Northern Illinois this year so I only got one. Last year, it was 80 degrees into November (odd though). My hops continued to produce until then.

Cool That's good. Looks like I have another two and a half months of hops coming. I am having trouble loading my image though. Cant seem to get it to come up

Ok got the image of the triple hop. They are not all like this, but a hand full turn out like this. The picture is not that clear but it is one whole hop. Maybe I can sent them to Miller so they can use it in their triple hop brewing.
mail

You might want to try and add the image through imageshack.org. Just paste the link. Your link isn't working right for some reason.

Back