Hops and finish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dfinnegan

Reaction score
So I am wondering, in the brewing process which hop addition provides aftertaste, the finish?

Hops added at any stage will impact the taste in some way. Hops provide bitterness, flavour and aroma. The longer the hops are boiled for, the more bitterness they provide and less flavour. Traditionally, bittering hops are boiled for about an hour, flavour hops for 10 to 20mins, and aroma hops 0 to 5 mins (or in the whirlpool/steep) or dryhop. Again though, any hop addition will change the taste in some way.

A 1 hour boil is basically going to make any flavor/aroma null and void. I save flavor/aroma hops all for the last 10 minutes usually. Basically if they're boiled longer than 10 minutes it's just adding IBUs.

Keep in mind; using high alpha expensive hops such as citra or simcoe and boiling for an hour is a waste of money. Just purchase cheap hops like nugget or chinook and use those as bittering hops. Regardless of the recipe.

Keep in mind; using high alpha expensive hops such as citra or simcoe and boiling for an hour is a waste of money.

I downgraded Simcoe to 'bad bittering hop' as the only flavor/aroma I can get out of it is catpiss.

A 1 hour boil is basically going to make any flavor/aroma null and void. I save flavor/aroma hops all for the last 10 minutes usually. Basically if they're boiled longer than 10 minutes it's just adding IBUs.

Keep in mind; using high alpha expensive hops such as citra or simcoe and boiling for an hour is a waste of money. Just purchase cheap hops like nugget or chinook and use those as bittering hops. Regardless of the recipe.

But different Hops, provide a different bitterness to the palate. At least this is what I noticed in my brewing. I agree that spendy hops are a waste in a 60 min boil, but I try and find bittering hops that have a smoother bitterness. I usually stick to Columbus, or Magnum.
I actually started paying attention after using Chinook for bittering. I didn't like that hop at all for 60 minutes, but still find a use for it in the 10 min & flameout additions.

It could be that there is such as thing as a difference between a smooth and harsh bitterness at 60. I have just never noticed anything like that.

What I have noticed is that late additions or even whirlpool/steep(@FO) provides a very smooth bitterness.

I agree that simcoe, along with mosaic and even citra can have a cat pissiness. Sometimes it's there and sometimes not. More over they're all loaded with the other flavors. I find Mosaic to have the most cat piss of the bunch.

So I guess te question is after you swallow that first mouthful of delishiousness, which hops are left lingering in my mouth? Some hops smell better than others and some leave a fantastic after taste.

I believe that you're referring to the hops that are dry hopped.

Back