Hops and 2nd Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cglkaptc

Reaction score
Hi all,

Tomorrow I am making my first batch ever (brewers best red ale kit). I have been reading home brew for dummies, and I have been reading this site to get tips, but I am still confused on a few things.

After I am done boiling the wort, how do I get the hops out if I don't use a bag? Also should I do secondary fermentation with my first batch?

secondary fermenation is an incorrect term. no fermentation should occur after primary. its just a clearing tank or a 'bright tank'

you can strain the hops if you like. it really doesn't hurt if some get into the primary.

I'm assuming you're stove-top cooking an extract.

I used to use a stainless steel strainer and scoop the majority of hops out of the wort while still in the pot. This would remove about 90% depending on whether they were whole hops or pellets.

Then I would pour the wort through a large colander with a single layer of paper towel. This took some time and patience and at time required I replace the papertowel as it became clogged. But it was extremelyu effective in clearing my wort.

Latest posts

Back