Hops adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidv53

Reaction score
I am making a beer that calls for the use of 1.5 ounces Willamette @ 5% AA (7.5 HBU).

The only Willamette hops I could find were 4.5%, so using the formula that says that HBU = ounces X AA%, I adjusted the recipe and using 1.666666 ounces of Willamette hops.

Since AA only affects bitterness, I wanted to know if I need to adjust the .5 ounces needed for finishing hops as well? Or since they are using the lupulin oil, should still use .5 oz

My ultimate question I guess is, do 5% AA hops contain the same amount of lupulin oil for flavoring as 4.5% AA hops?

Thanks,

DV

The only hops you really need to adjust are any in the 30-60m (or up) range, and obviously the 60m and up hops are the more significant. Anything less than 30m really doesn't need to be adjusted for AA.

Adjust bittering adds, keep the flavor and aroma adds the same. For a mega-IIPA, the flavor adds will change the bittering (in theory), but most of the time people are maxed out on IBU & it doesn't matter.

Back