Hoppy Wheat Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoup4me

Reaction score
I want to brew a Hoppy Wheat beer that will be ready mid May for the hot months here in Texas.
After looking online this is what I've scrapped together:
6# 2-Row
4# Wheat
.5# Crystal 40
.5# Rice Hulls
1 oz @ 60 Centennial
.3 oz @ 15 Centennial
.5 oz @ 5 Centennial
Mash at 152
WLP090 Yeast
and then I was thinking about dry hopping with 1 oz Mosaic for 3 days (I just like the smell of this) or would you just stick with dry hop of Centennial?
Does this look ok? Would you change the wheat to pale ratio or hop times.

I'd skip the crystal, and shift the hops towards later in the boil. My wheat ale recipes are 60% base, 40% wheat. Hops are (for 5 gallons) 0.25 @60, 1-2 @15, 1-2 @ 0. 1.052, 30-35 IBUs.

I'd skip the crystal, and shift the hops towards later in the boil. My wheat ale recipes are 60% base, 40% wheat. Hops are (for 5 gallons) 0.25 @60, 1-2 @15, 1-2 @ 0. 1.052, 30-35 IBUs.
So I've been playing around and this is my new plan... for now.

I went with an all hop burst/steep at flame out with only .66 oz of Centennial @ 60.
6# 2-Row
4# Wheat
.5# Crystal 40
.5# Rice Hulls
.66 oz @ 60 Centennial
.8 oz @ Flame out (20 min steep) Centennial
.5 oz @ Flame out (20 min steep) Mosaic
Mash at 152
WLP090 Yeast
Dry Hop 1 oz Mosaic for 3 days.

Keeping the crystal in (right now) and thinking about doing a split batch of WLP090 (5 gal) and WLP320 (3 gal)

it should be around 41 IBU's

Did you make this? How'd it turn out?

I did make it. I actually made 8 gallons and split it between wyeast 1010 (american wheat) and the wlp090.

It just finished carbing up in the bottle. The 1010 took a month to really ferment out. The wlp090 finished in 2 but I just let it ride the same amount of time to just keep the split batches on the same schedule. I actually like the 1010 better. It has a little bit more balanced profile that I like. WLP090 has more of a hop presence.

If i did it over again, I'd probably drop the crystal and some carapils for head retention and lower my bittering hops to be around the 30-35 IBU range. I'll be doing this again on my next brew in a few weeks with the changes. Right now I have 80 bottles to get through! It's a good brew though!

Hey,if you are having a hard time with your 80 bottles,send some my way. I am always inclined towards helping out people in need of empty bottles

Glad to hear. I'm hoping to start very soon today on a somewhat similar recipe, give or take 1# on the base malts and Vienna instead of crystal. Targeting 32 IBUs. Not normally a wheat fan but some recent mildly hoppy wheat pale ales inspired me.

Doesn't look super hoppy, but that's just me. This is my favorite hoppy wheat I've put together so far.

Huge tropical/citrus bomb in your face.

5 lb White Wheat
4 lb 2-row
1 lb Caramel/crystal 40L

OG = 1.060
FG = 1.009
ABV = ~6.7%
Est IBU = 50ish

.5 oz Columbus @ 60 mins - 15% AA = 26 ibu
1 oz Centennial @ 30 mins - 9% AA = 24 ibu
.5 oz Columbus flame-out addition
.5 oz Centennial flame-out addition