Hoppy Wheat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out Southern Tiers Hop Sun for a great commercial example. If I ever get around to cloning it, I'll PM you with the recipe.

hmmm. Unfortunately that isn't available in GA. Although I'd love to try it.

Here is the info on Southern Tier's Hop Sun:
Hop_Sun_Detail.gif

I am a fan, and brew an all columbus interpretation of it that I simply refer to as Hoppy Wheat.

My recipe has looked pretty similar to this the last few times I've brewed it:

7 lbs. German 2-row Pils
3 lbs. White Wheat Malt
8 oz. Crystal Malt 10°L
.25 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 14.2 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 14.2 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 14.2 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : DCL Yeast Safale US-05

The main differences being a few extra gravity points on my end, I do not dry hop it (mostly out of laziness), and of course columbus in place of centennial.

ETA: One of my early stabs out it came out like this:
IMG_3973.jpg

The brooklyner-schneider hopfen-weisse is really good. They list the ingredients at the brooklyn brewery website if you wanted to formulate the recipe yourself.

I made a fairly hoppy wheat beer as an experiment and it ended up quite good.

5 lb pale 2-row
3 lb malted wheat
1.5 lb vienna
.5 light crystal

Set it up with S-05 and a cool ferment...
1oz of 11.5% centennial at 60, 0.5oz saaz at 15 and flamout.

Honestly, the finish was a bit too bitter, but the foam tasted AWESOME.. like bitter, delicious candy. Could probably balance the beer by taking some hops off the start and adding them in the middle.

(Thread is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/what-flavour-does-malted-wheat-contribute-151437/)

Here is the info on Southern Tier's Hop Sun:
Hop_Sun_Detail.gif

I am a fan, and brew an all columbus interpretation of it that I simply refer to as Hoppy Wheat.

My recipe has looked pretty similar to this the last few times I've brewed it:

7 lbs. German 2-row Pils
3 lbs. White Wheat Malt
8 oz. Crystal Malt 10°L
.25 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 14.2 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.75 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 14.2 %AA) boiled 15 min.
1 oz. Columbus (Pellets, 14.2 %AA) boiled 5 min.
Yeast : DCL Yeast Safale US-05

The main differences being a few extra gravity points on my end, I do not dry hop it (mostly out of laziness), and of course columbus in place of centennial.

ETA: One of my early stabs out it came out like this:
IMG_3973.jpg

Do you have the original Hop Sun recipe? I looked all over trying to find one, but had no luck. I figured I was going to have to clone it myself...but wheat beers aren't hard to do, so I wasn't worried too much.

there's some great feedback on here. Thanks guys. Keep the recipes coming. I'm going to brew one this weekend. And jpsloan, when you say "bucketload of Sorachi Ace." how much did you use and what was the outcome besides violent wishes towards my maternal figure?

I think this was the recipe...

4 lbs Belgian Pils
3 lbs Malted Wheat
8 oz Crystal 20L

1 oz Sorachi Ace (9.5%AA) 60 min
1 oz Sorachi Ace @ Flameout

Safale US-05 Yeast

Mashed at 150 for 75 min, Boiled 60 min.

That's not exactly a "bucketload" by most standards, but I'm a malt-head and that's a bitter goldurn hop. Nice and lemony, too.

The batch turned out with an interesting blend of flavors that a couple people wanted to guess at being a witbier. Made a splash at our brewclub's summer pool party!

I think this was the recipe...

4 lbs Belgian Pils
3 lbs Malted Wheat
8 oz Crystal 20L

1 oz Sorachi Ace (9.5%AA) 60 min
1 oz Sorachi Ace @ Flameout

Safale US-05 Yeast

Mashed at 150 for 75 min, Boiled 60 min.

That's not exactly a "bucketload" by most standards, but I'm a malt-head and that's a bitter goldurn hop. Nice and lemony, too.

The batch turned out with an interesting blend of flavors that a couple people wanted to guess at being a witbier. Made a splash at our brewclub's summer pool party!

A buddy of mine knows someone who brewed an excellent wheat with Sorachi Ace.... do you know Deuane from Harrisburg by any chance?

I think I'm going to try that Sorachi Ace recipe, but add a little more hops at the 30 min/15 minute mark and less at the 60 minute. maybe

.5 60 minute
.5 30 minute
.5 15 minute
.5 flame out
1 oz dry hop

it'll be Sorachi!!

any feedback/suggestions on that ^ alteration? Thanks for the recipe! I'm also going to be brewing this one on the same day:

Recipe Type: Extract***
Yeast: S-05***
Batch Size (Gallons): 5***
Original Gravity: 1.054***
Final Gravity: 1.010***
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60***
Color: orange-golden***
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 9@62***
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14@68***
Tasting Notes: Excellent american hop flavor and aroma, with a full, smooth wheat body***

1lb. Caravienne
1lb. 2-row
1lb. White Wheat
5lb. Briess Wheat DME
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 60 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 15 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, 5 min.)
.5oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, flameout)
1oz Amarillo whole (9.8 AA, dry-hop)
1oz Simcoe pellet (12.1 AA, dry-hop)

Safale-05 fermented as noted

I'm going to attempt a summer wheat this weekend. Half pils malt, half wheat malt. A little bit of caramel and/or honey malt. Decent dosings of late hop additions for (hopefully) some nice citrusy flavor, but with low IBUs, around 20 or so. We'll see what happens. Oh, and dry hopping with Citra.

I love the Schnider and Son version of this.

Anyone consider a little lemon or orange in the secondary as well? I am planning one of these for early spring.

I was going on a limb and just plugged some numbers into Beersmith for a brew I am doing next weekend. Surprised at how close this is to some of the recipes on the board. Has anyone had luck in competitions with hoppy wheat beers?
5# 2 Row
3# German Wheat
1# Munich

.25 Warrior (15.8% AA) 60 Min
.5 Centennial (7.8% AA) 15 Min
1 Centennial (7.8% AA) 1 Min

Oberon ale. What you are looking for is an American wheat beer. That is what you call a hoppy wheat beer.

i have an american wheat in bottles that is 4.5% and 25+ BUs... it came out very good imo.. balanced, clear, etc.... drinks more like a pale ale than a wheat tho, but that's what i wanted. i think wheats can handle way more BU than we normally suspect. i'd have no problem brewing a 5% wheat with 50 BU, but i'd make sure most of that was from late additions fwiw.

Back