Hoppy Strong Scotch Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingless04

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a strong scotch ale/wee heavy recipe and was wondering what it would be like to add some hop character to it. I realize it would be out of style but it sounds good to me. I'm not sure if i should up the hops just a little, or if I should just go crazy with it. Does anyone have experience doing this? What would it be considered? I don't think I would want to add more bitterness, maybe just alot of aroma and/or dry hopping. What do you think?

It's funny that you should post this... I was wondering the exact same thing.

I love wee heavy, and i love hops. I was thinking a peat smoked whiskey malt, and a ton of dry hopping with like a goldings.

But I'm a noob and this would be my 4th boil, and 2nd bastardized recipe...

Bear Republic refers to their Red Rocket as "a bastardized Scottish style red ale that traces it's origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors."
Jamils amber is a clone of it if that sounds like what your aiming for

Whatever you do, you have to call it your "Hop Ness Monster".

I'd go with a normal hopping schedule, then dry hop with EKG, Fuggles, Stryian or some combo of them. Maybe Challenger or Palisade. I get some apricot from Palisade, which sounds like a nice complement to the maltiness of a strong scotch.

I'd recommend a loooong secondary fermenation, then dry hop right at the end, or maybe even in the keg. Like 3-4 months in secondary before the dry hopping, or longer if it's above 1.080. Since a beer that big will take a long time to settle down, you don't want to dry hop, then bottle, then wait 4 months for it to be drinkable. Anything you got from the dry hoping will be long gone by then.

Im doing 10 gallons of a borderline 80 shilling/wee heavy in the coming weeks. After recently trying KBS for the first time, i figured i'd turn half my batch into a scotch oaked wee heavy. What do you guys think would be a good amount of oak for five gallons and how much scotch to soak them in?

I Ended up Dry hopping half a batch of my Scottish Ale with 1oz Cascade for about a ~week and was told out of the bottle it tasted quite like a Wee Scotty.. !
Made my day !!! :mug:

Passed the 'HopNess Monster' name and called it a
HopScotch~ish !

Back