Hoppy stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
Brewed a stout, one week in primary, one week in secondary. Ingredients were typical with a low level of hops, and should turn out to be a dry stout.

Went to taste it after bottling it today and it's hopy!! Only the first few sips thought!? Just think it needs time to mellow.

Any thoughts??

Time should mellow it out, your beer is really young. Don't judge it too early, give it a couple more weeks and it will mature and become smoother. Dry stouts are actually supposed to be moderately bitter. I aim for 42-45 IBUs for my 1.045 dry stout.

Post more information, please. What was the recipe? Specifically, what were the hops additions, and when did you add them?

Stouts should be fairly bitter, but they should not have any discernible hop flavor or aroma. I'm guessing you overdid the late hops additions.

Steeping grains
3/4 lb crystal 120
1/4 lb black patent
1/4 lb stout roast barley

6lb dark malt
1lb dark dry malt

2 oz. cluster and 1 oz. of galena (pellet) hops for 60 minutes

1 oz. williamette last 15 minutes of boil

og 1.060 fg 1.014

Got kinda close to 170 with my steeping grains, that was a point of concern for me also. The first beer I made that I got a full five gallons out of, so pretty stoked.

If you're describing hop flavor, the 1oz of Williamette at 15 min will give you that.

If you're describing rather bitter, maybe a bit of a harsh bitterness, the beer is likely green and will mellow some, but it will always have a solid hop bitterness to it. Galenas usually run 13% AA and clusters 7-9%AA.......given that you'll have a stout with a moderate-high hop bitterness.

I assume you're doing a partial boil too, otherwise that many bittering hops in a stout would be extremely bitter........

With stouts, porters, etc. I find it takes a good 2 months to mellow to the point where I think they're really getting good. FWIW

Be patient, you're beer will be ok.

Back