Hoppy Imperial Stout - Water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this water profile for a for a hoppy imperial stout like victory storm king?

Ca: 43
Mg: 2
Na: 80
SO4: 27
Cl: 58

I want the beer to feel full and malty, but I don't want the hops to be completely muted.

In the past I've brewed an American barley wine with a balanced profile with moderate Chloride/Sulfate amounts similar to a "Full" profile and won 2nd place in a competition. So, I'm thinking this should be ok in a hoppy version of an imperial stout.

The sodium is a bit higher here though from adding baking soda. I've also kept the sulfate lower because of the high sodium content.

You could also try pickling lime (Calcium Hydroxide) instead of using so much baking soda in order to lower the Na level. Although a slight saltiness my be interesting in an Imp, but maybe not in a hoppy one...

I think keeping rest of the profile balanced would be fine...

Cheers!

Sulfate and roast do the same thing in beer...make the finish drier. So you don't want to overdo sulfate additions in dark beers. I'd say that the profile looks workable. The elevated mashing pH will help mellow the roast flavors.

Latest posts

Back