Hoppy Hopi (+Website)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

munkkimaster

Reaction score
Greetings Finland!

I've done BIAB for about 6 months now (...but slowly progressing towards all grain). I just bottled my 9th and 10th batch today.

The best place to follow my progress is my website, which I update frequently about the latest batches and possibly a blog soon: http://hoppyhopi.beer/

I'm interested in branding, product development and web. I'm also growing some classic Finnish hops this season --- let's see how that'll progress. You can read more about the ideology behind the name Hoppy Hopi from my website.

Shoot me a question? :)

Hi Munkkimaster, What kind of hops are you growing? What kinds are grown in your area?

The variety has been growing for decades and even hundreds of years in the nature.. Possibly all the way from the 16th or 17th century. At that time Finland was under Sweden's control and they made everyone to grow hops. Those same varieties are still growing in the nature.

So what I know:

- Old variety (possibly hundreds of years)
- Leafy aroma
- Best used for bittering (end of boil)
- Low AA (some guessed ~4 or so)
- Suitable for the short, Finnish, summer

For details maybe translate the Finnish wikipedia. :)

Fun fact: There's still a law in Finland that tells every house must have 200 hop poles. :rockin:

The variety has been growing for decades and even hundreds of years in the nature.. Possibly all the way from the 16th or 17th century. At that time Finland was under Sweden's control and they made everyone to grow hops. Those same varieties are still growing in the nature.

So what I know:

- Leafy aroma

Fun fact: There's still a law in Finland that tells every house must have 200 hop poles. :rockin:

Do you mean start of boil? Or do you mean they are best for aroma? (end of boil).

Do you mean start of boil? Or do you mean they are best for aroma? (end of boil).

I read that so not sure what's the logic here. Maybe they're at their best at that time: Low AA (no use for actual bittering), unique aroma (not best taste for dry hops probably).. I guess I'll settle for something like 5-15 mins before the end of the boil.

I read that so not sure what's the logic here. Maybe they're at their best at that time: Low AA (no use for actual bittering), unique aroma (not best taste for dry hops probably).. I guess I'll settle for something like 5-15 mins before the end of the boil.

They will still work as a bittering hop. You'll just need to add more!

So what I know:

- Leafy aroma

I like your antiquated law. I think everyone should have 200 hop poles! It sounds like a great late hop. Have you used it for dry hopping?

I've tried it for dry hopping with an extract beer, but the last seasons' hops were outdated and I had no idea what to do with them. Hop(p)ing to try them more this season. I was just reading that wet-hopping needs 5-6 times the same time as dried hops, so I'll push a bunch of them into the boil!

Yes, it's usually 5-6 times more for bittering, but that can vary a lot depending on variety. Wet hops can have a very grassy veggi flavor, more than the same variety dry. They make an interesting brew. When do you harvest your hops?

Yes, it's usually 5-6 times more for bittering, but that can vary a lot depending on variety. Wet hops can have a very grassy veggi flavor, more than the same variety dry. They make an interesting brew. When do you harvest your hops?

I have no idea, I hope I get some hops from the rhizome transplants I made. I still have a backup site where the hops have been growing for decades :). The whole ground is full of roots.

Latest posts

Back