Hoppy AUS+NZ Lager style beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehaze

Reaction score
Hi,

Sooo... I'm going to brew some lagers in 2019. I'm excited and scared at the same time. I'll start with a Hoppy Lager, A Vienna Lager and a Hoppy Schwarzbier.

This is what I've come up to for the Hoppy Lager:

Batch size: 23 liters or 6 gallons
Malt: 100% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Malt ( SRM 3.5 - I want it light in colour )
Yeast: W-34/70
Hops: Pacifica, Kohatu and Topaz, with a focus on Pacifica. Dry hopping will be done with 75% Pacifica and 25% Topaz. ( 5 oz hops in the dry hop for 2 days )
OG: 1.050 / FG: 1.007 / 5.6% ABV / 30 IBU

My starting water---> Ca: 10.2 ppm | Mg: 2.6 ppm | Na: 2.7 ppm | Cl: 3.3 ppm | SO4: 6 ppm | HCO3: 42.7 ppm | pH: 7.2 | CaCO3: 35 ppm
Idea for Mash Water---> Ca: 50 ppm | Mg: 10 ppm | Na: 15 ppm | Cl: 45 ppm | SO4: 100 ppm | pH: 5.25-5.30

The idea behind it is to make it dry, crisp and drinkable.

Any input regarding the recipe above are more than welcome.

Thank you.

Any ideas/input/critique about the recipe posted above?

Has anyone tried brewing Lagers with higher Sulfate content?

I have done a Dortmund Lager, which is very similar to this idea. It's very much like a Pilsner but with high mineral content, especially sulfate. I loved it and need to make it again. I remember the sulfate definitely made the hops much more pronounced than the low mineral content Pils I made shortly after.

Thank you, ksut1547. My thoughts around this brew is to make it dry, crisp and with a moderate hop aroma and flavour. I was tinkering about using a low mineral content, but I do like how sulfate acts in a hop-driven beer. I am also thinking of dropping Topaz for the dry hop and only go with Pacifica.

Thank you, ksut1547. My thoughts around this brew is to make it dry, crisp and with a moderate hop aroma and flavour. I was tinkering about using a low mineral content, but I do like how sulfate acts in a hop-driven beer. I am also thinking of dropping Topaz for the dry hop and only go with Pacifica.
Sounds good. Although I can't comment on those particular hops as I have not used them. Be sure to let us know how this turns out.

Latest posts

Back