Hoppy APA extract kits UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom P

Reaction score
Hi all, so my first couple of brews have been a Block Party Amber Ale which came out at 3.41% and a Dead Ringer which I've just transferred to secondary and seems to be at 6.41% after two weeks primary, which I'm very pleased with. Both were from Northern Brewer imported through a UK website.

My question is that after sampling both (albeit pre-conditioning) they seem very similar; biscuity/caramel taste, fairly bitter.

I am a fan of APA style, or light 'festival' style beers with strong citrus and hoppy notes but I'm finding it hard to find a decent extract kit available in the UK.

As a beginner, I can cope with a partial mash kit, so wondered if anyone has any suggestions, or if in fact the Dead Ringer is likely to mature and change significantly once it's conditioned?

Thanks in advance!

The Dead Ringer is beginning to mature at three weeks in the bottle when conditioning at 21° to 22°C. Chill for a couple of days to get the effects of full carbonation. This is one of my favorites. You may want to try the Chinook IPA also. I like the single hop brews. Maybe you can source the ingredients locally to avoid high shipping costs. NB posts all their recipes.

I think you will find that BeerHawk is the same company as Northern Brewer (owned by InBev).

Looks like the prices are comparable 30 pounds vs $44; you may be getting it slightly cheaper than the US.

Do they have deals like in the US. I wouldn't buy it for $44, but I bought 5 in a sale several months ago at $20 each.

All beers change with time. For this one, you just lose some of the hop flavor. It will still be a good beer, but is better fresh.

Back