Hopping from Flameout to 68F?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemanBrew

Reaction score
I have few batches fermenting now. I put one hop addition at flameout ant took it of after the chill was complete. Is this a bad thing? Will it make offflavors? What kind?

First batch has mosaic at flameout
and the other has Simcoe80%-Citra20%

Not sure what exactly your asking but I'll give it a shot . When I boil my wort I just toss in the hops , I dont use bags . So the hops are in the wort and get left behind once I transfer to my fermenter. It will be fine , nothing to worry about.

This is basically what's referred to as a "0 minute addition." You added hops at the end of the boil, then proceeded directly to chill. It's a common practice and there is no reason for off flavors.

Brewers will more often either A) Let the hot wort sit for a short time after this hop addition; or B) Chill the wort just a little to about 175F, and then let it sit. But chilling immediately is just another way to use flame-out hops.

Latest posts

Back