Hopping an RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndyPABrewGuy

Reaction score
Hey all -

I perused through many of the RIS recipes on this wonderful site, and have seen many different suggestions on the subject of hoppage, specifically bittering, and the necessity of flavoring and aroma hops. I guess my question is two fold.

1) Is it necessary to use aroma and flavoring hops and is it worth it? My initial reaction is no, since there's a ton of different flavors already, but I could (read: am probably) wrong.

2) Are any of the following varietals adequate bittering hops for a RIS?

Cascade
Chinook
Simcoe

(I'm shooting for somewhere between 80 and 95 IBUs. I can do the calcs. I'm worried more about imparted flavor from bittering hops . . . the flavor of the bitter, I guess)

These are what I have in my inventory. I would like to use something out of inventory instead of purchasing any more hops at this time. I will buy, if it is recommended to use a different varietal.

Also, if flavoring/aroma hops are necessary, what varietals would y'all suggest?

Thanks,

Back