Hopped LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upinya

Reaction score
I am new to the board but have brewing for a few years now. Long story short:
Local brew supply- no unhopped LME, only stocking Muton's hopped LME and Plain DME now.
I have been brewing a great stout recipe that uses unhopped LME for a couple years now.
Should I just use the DME, which is more expensive, or am I good to use the Muton's hopped LME?
Thanks for the help.

If you're really happy with how your recipe comes out using the unhopped LME, I'd start ordering it online.

Man, you both helped me and didn't at the same time. I'm torn. Ordering online is starting to get exspensive and I do have a good hop combo.....hmmmm.
I have read before that it is better to use DME compared to LME. I think I will try this next brew with DME and see what happens.
Thanks again for your help.

Nothing wrong with DME. I was just figuring that if you want to make it exactly the same, then get LME. That and I'd be annoyed giving business to a place that has crap for selection and then cuts it to less than crap.

DME vs LME is a matter of opinion. There is no definitive proof that one is better than the other. If you do decide to use DME, remember that DME is more concentrated. According to Palmer, the conversion is 4 to 5, DME & LME respectively.

I am not too big on LME in general.

And, I HATE canned, hopped LME in particular. Bad experience with sour, nasty LME.

Go with the DME.

I've had good experiences with both LME and hopped LME. If you end up with a sour or nasty taste it's more than likely a sanitation issue or something else you're doing wrong....again, it's a matter of opinion.

I've had good experiences with both LME and hopped LME. If you end up with a sour or nasty taste it's more than likely a sanitation issue or something else you're doing wrong....again, it's a matter of opinion.

This stuff smelt bad coming out of the can. I figured it was the hops, and went ahead and used it. That beer was nasty, the only really bad batch I have had.

Back