Hopped Honey Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDog007

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm planning my own recipe for what I'm calling a "Hopped Honey Amber Ale". This is my first attempt at an all grain batch using BIAB method so I'd love any input.

Water Prep:
11.0g of Gypsum

Mash:
13Lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0SRM)
12oz Carapils (Briess)
12oz Roasted Barley (Briess)

Hops (Boil):
1oz Amarillo (60m)
1oz Chinook (30m)
1oz Centennial (10m)
1oz Citra (5m)
Whirlfloc Tablet (15m)
1oz Sweet Orange Peel (5m)

Fermentation:
1Lb Clover Honey (Added 1 week into primary)

Yeast:
1.4L starter from Wyeast 1056

I plan on keeping it in primary for 3-4 weeks total before moving directly to keg.

Like I said above this is my first attempt at an all grain recipe so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'd throw in some munich or maybe some crystal... with just the two row and roasted barley I think you will be missing the mark on the malt flavor. Instead of using whole honey you could use some honey malt which gives good honey flavor as well.

I'd agree with above. Honey actually won't add any sweetness once it ferments, and actually dries the beer out.

I'd throw in some munich or maybe some crystal... with just the two row and roasted barley I think you will be missing the mark on the malt flavor. Instead of using whole honey you could use some honey malt which gives good honey flavor as well.

Should I replace the 2 row with honey malt pound for pound?

Honey malt is pretty strong stuff, you could replace the 2 row with .5 to 1 pound of the honey malt or just add it in. Don't go over a pound unless you want it really sweet.

Back