Hoping to make something close for an apricot beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
Hey,

There's a micro brewery where i'm from called Alley Kat. They make an awesome apricot beer. My girlfriend and I love it as well as all of my friends. I'd like to make something close to it. It's made from a german wheat base, hopped with cluster hops, and fermented with regular ale yeast. Their wheat is consisting of 50% of their grains.

This is information I could obtain from their website. I'm still new to all of this and was thinking maybe taking a Hefe recipe, adjusting the hops, using US-05 yeast and adding apricot puree to the secondary. I'll probably either puree it or juice it in my juicer and pasterize it. I can't find many extract options within my city that arent artificial but do have an awesome produce store.

Any suggestions on making this or any base recipes from the site that might lend really well to this style of recipe? This will be my third brew and intend on doing it in all grain.

I'm also currently enjoying a wheat ale from R & B brewing in vancouver. It's a great beer and tastes very similar minus the apricot. They use Perle hops and just pale 2 row and canadian wheat.

Very interesting. Also, dried apricots have a different flavor than fresh or puréed apricots so another option might be to soak some nice Turkish apricots in water overnight then simmer them in enough liquid to get a sweet liquor that could be strained and added to your wort at end of boil. Now you've got my gears going.

Consider if you like, adding up to 8% of grain bill with acidulated malt for tartness to counter balance. Let the shop grind your wheat if it's hard red. Murder to grind. Study wheat beer techniques. The lack of diastatic power of wheat can be fixed by using some 6 row and a step mash. It seems most people here like flaked or torrified wheat but for authenticity (belgian wheat styles) I'm going to buy organic soft white wheat berries for a wit I'm creating. I'm hoping it will keep my color very light and hazy. Also a 45 min extended protein rest will give hazier beer than a 60 min rest but means you're at greater risk for a slow or stuck bed. Lots here use rice hulls but rice is grown with lots of pesticides so I'm opting out. Let me know what you end up doing. I can live vicariously through your apricot beer. I was going to buy perle but went with tradition & hallertau so let me know how they work too.

Consider if you like, adding up to 8% of grain bill with acidulated malt for tartness to counter balance. Let the shop grind your wheat if it's hard red. Murder to grind. Study wheat beer techniques. The lack of diastatic power of wheat can be fixed by using I was some 6 row and a step mash. It seems most people here like flaked or torrified wheat but for authenticity (belgian wheat styles) I'm going to buy organic soft white wheat berries for a wit I'm creating. I'm hoping it will keep my color very light and hazy. Also a 45 min extended protein rest will give hazier beer than a 60 min rest but means you're at greater risk for a slow or stuck bed. Lots here use rice hulls but rice is grown with lots of pesticides so I'm opting out. Let me know what you end up doing. I can live vicariously through your apricot beer. I was going to buy perle but went with tradition & hallertau so let me know how they work too.

Hellertau are on sale for me where I shop from haha. So I was thinking of those. My lhbs doesn't mill grains for me. Though I get most supplies online. I could just order it from there milled. Do you mill the rice hulls or just put them in as is? I'm m assuming they just go in as is. I was looking at edworts hefe and thinking of just substituting the Pilsen malt and sticking with the hop additions of Hellertau. I'd like to keep the ibu in the area of 13.

Latest posts

Back