hoping i don't have bottle bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff81

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I've been brewing for less than a year and i just bottled my third batch (pumpkin ale). It was in the primary for two weeks and the secondary for weeks. With my hydrometer broken i had to go by the air lock and the clearing of the beer to tell me fermentation was done. It cleared out and i hardly saw a bubble ever leave the carboy. I decided to bottle last night in order to have the beer ready for Thanksgiving. When i racked it to the bottling bucket the beer seemed very active (patches of foam on the surface). I decided to play it safe and added half the priming sugar (ide rather have a less carbonated beer than 50 bottle bombs). I'm hoping that if there was still a little fermentation happening than that would make up for the loss of priming sugar. The OG was 1.044. Do you guys think i just messed up my beer? This kit was a gift from my wife so if they all exploded i would be on the couch, lol. I would rather drink a semi flat beer :)

Thank you!

There were some small blotches of foam on the top of mine too but FG had been stable for a week. I used the full measure of sugar and bottled. Been two weeks and a day...no problems so far.

I'd have a hard time imagining (which is about all you can do without FG readings ;) ) fermentation wasn't complete after what sounds like at least three weeks.

I forgot to add that it was in the secondary for three weeks. Not having a way to check FG has been problematic. I bottled a batch of apple ale a week ago and it cleared out really nicely and much faster than the pumpkin. I just figured that the pumpkin might have made it cloudy.

Back