hoping I didn't mess it up...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammerhead3

Reaction score
So here is a new one, and I'm wondering if anyone thinks I screwed the brew up. Anyway...I made a wheat ipa over the weekend (about 6 days ago), pitched Cal ale yeast and starter (2 litre) and fermentation took off quick. It was going strong 6 hours later. I noticed the temp creeping up in the higher 60s, so I put it in my sink with water to keep a little cooler (I prefer cooler temps). That brought it down to about 64 add I held it there for about 5 days. I decided I wanted my sink back, so plugged in the chest freezer with dual control and set it in.
Here is the problem...I forgot to change the temp to 66 and it was at lagering temps, 34. I didn't notice until almost 24 hours later. I'm certain I stalled out fermentation (which may have been close to done). So I fixed the temp, which will bring it up to 66.
So what do the great minds here think I can expect?
Thanks, all. And yes, have a laugh or two at my expense!! I think it's quite funny.

So let's see if you all think I screwed this one up bad or not. (I know I screwed it up at least a little, but let's see if you think it's salvageable).
Anyway, I brewed up a wheat Ipa about 6 days ago. I pitched a 2 litre starter (after decanting) of Wlp001 cal ale yeast. I set it in my basement and the fermentation took off quick, within 6 hours. I noticed the temp creeping up in the higher 60s and decided to cool it down a little, so I put it in my sink with water and got it down to a comfy 64 (I prefer cooler temps).
And this is where it gets fun..
After about 5 days, decided I wanted my sink back, so I plugged in the chest freezer with dual control and set it in. So a kid must have distracted me or something, but I forgot to actually set the temp. It was still at lager temps, 34 degrees. Oops. Didn't notice until about 24 hours later, where I kicked the controller back up to 64. It's going to take at least a day to warm (no fear of warming too fast), but what should I expect now? I'll still drink it, I'm sure, just wondering what I'm going to get. I'm guessing the fermentation was just about done, but that's WAY too soon to basically cold crash it.
Anyway, have a laugh (I am) and let me hear what y'all think! Thanks!

You should be fine. That is a lot better than some mistakes I, and others, have made. Let it warm, agitate the yeast if it has essentially cold crashed. The yeast should wake up and do their thing. All you did was put them down for a quick nap.

Good to hear. I have to say, all I've read about on this site and can't recall anything quite like this. Hey maybe it'll help remind others to set their temp control before walking away!
Anyway, I'll give it another week or two then throw it in the keg and see what I've got.
Thanks again!

Yeah, you may want to give it a little swirl to get some yeast back in suspension but it should finish up fine, if it wasn't already done. Cheers!

Back