Hopefully not my first embarrassing NewB question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webnmar

Reaction score
I don't want to get Revvy's "Step away from the Beer" response, but here it goes..

I am on day 12 of fermenting an American Gold Premium Mr. Beer recipe. I took my first Hydro test. OG was 1.050, now it is 1.009. sample was still quite cloudy and debris filled. Tasted great though, just a little sweet. I am basically sure that primary fermentation is done.But expect to leave it in the fermenter for another week before bottling.

Question: Should I move the fermenter into the refirgerator for the remainder of the time to help clear it up? My current location keeps it around 65deg. Would the cold condition it better, or just time left where it is at?

I am inetersted in everyone's opinion on this. Thanks. This is only my second brew, but my first is tasting great, even if it is a little green.

Since it's done fermenting, you could stick it in the fridge. That will help it clear up quite a bit. It should be pretty clear in 3-4 days in the fridge. Be careful when you take it out not to slosh it around too much, as to not resuspend all the trub on the bottom. Let is sit for a bit after you take it out, so it can resettle, and warm up to room temperature. Then you can bottle it.

Hmmmm,
two great answers, maybe I will continue to sit back and RDWHAHB, since my first is done and I can do that. :mug:

Maybe I will split the difference and .... taking a drink from my HB

.... and let it sit for 5 more days, then move it to the frig for 3-4 days, then bottle.

Gulp... Yup, another swig of HB, no worries.

Thanks for the quick response. I love this site.

Sounds like a plan! This is normally the point where I'd tell you to RDWHAHB, but it seems like you've got that well in hand. Matter of fact, I think I'm going to do exactly the same.

:mug:

Back